What anemones do you have and how long have you kept them?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

What anemones do you have and how long have you kept them?

• Total voters
I have had anemones for 17 years. I had a green long tentacle for 10 years, it died because the perc clowns that hosted in it pulled all the food from it's mouth and spit it out. It eventually shrunk. I have had rbtas for the last 8 or 10 years and they flourish.

Every time they split 2 or 3 ways, I keep the smallest one and sell the rest. It is now about 15" across. Time for a split.

Ugla,
I have had one anemone killed that way from my percs, and had I not intervened with the purple H.magnifica, it would have happened to it as well.

Clowns do not often help a sick or weak anemone....keeping them away from a newly acquired anemone is generally best for the anemone, until you see it gaining in size and having a more rapid feeding response, (ie enveloping the food item, drawing it to its mouth, and then ingesting it. I find the ingesting part is what takes so long and is the most common time clowns will steal food from an anemone.

Stealing food from a weak/newly acquired anemone causes more harm because the anemone most likely doesnt have the energy reserves needed for long term survival. And it's expending energy by capturing the food, drawing it to its mouth, and attempting to ingest it. Low energy reserves, plus loss of energy by spending it in a failed attempt to eat = problems.

If your anemone is a species that is known to have long tentacles, and has short nubby tentacles, you can assume its either weakened, or recovering from a weakened state. Pale, faded coloration, short nubby tentacles in a species not known to have them, flacid gaping mouth...these are all signs of an unhealthy anemone.

Nick

Those are some beautiful nems Alex.
I just remembered I have one. I dont have any pics of it yet though. Got it about a month ago.

THx Lorrie. I do like my little Maxi Minis. :lol: Do you have a mini or a maxi mini?

I am currently keeping lots of different anemones in my system ..on my left side I keep around 70 mini maxi anemones and 7 rock flower anemones on the right my Rbta..my rock flowers and minis even touch and don't bother..they all love to cuddle up ..I witnessed spawning of my minis a few times and found a few babies that dis not make it to adulthood ..however right now I found a few rock flower babies and hope they will make it..

Thanks Nick, a great amount of info to start with and it has certainly given me a chance to do some good research.
Will keep you informed.

I have several RBTA's (it just keeps splitting, it's split 7 times in 3 years) I currently have 5 RBTA's (time to thin the heard & do some frag swapping) and one Purple Corkscrew that's close to the size of a dinner plate.

Back