what anenome for my clown

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

peonleon2

I just got a false percula clown fish 2 days ago. I want to get an anenome for it to host. I have a 100 gallon tank with 2 175watt halides on it. working on a 3rd halide. so i do have enugh lighting.
I dont know what kind of anenome i should get and if anyone has one for sale id buy it.
please let me know what kind i can have since i know theres a few.

thanks

I think the easiest to keep is a standard Bubble Tip, others might chime in.

How long has you tank been up for?

-Dan

I agree with a Green or Rose Bubble Tip. I also agree that they tend to move around more than some other anemones. They're a rock inhabiting anemone so it's a little more difficult to keep them off your corals...lol. Make sure you cover all intakes with sponges as they have a tendancy to get caught in them while roaming.

ive had the tank up and running for about 5 months with live rock and sand in it. i just now put the 1st fish in it, a clown. I also just put in some cleaner crews.
What other kind of anenomes other than a bubble tip can i have. Just curious

Well to start with, not sure 5 months is long enough to consider adding any anemone. Especially since you're just now adding your first fish. Keep in mind that after the addition, you may go through a minor spike. Anemones need a very stable tank to survive.

Other anemones you could consider would be a LTA or Carpet. They don't have the survival rates that BTAs do though. they also grow very large...although I've got an RBTA that's at least 16" in diameter...lol.

i did start my tank with established water from my 45gallon tank that had been up for over 3 years.
im just taking it slow on this tank since i want to put in more expensive fish and dont want to loose anything, especaialy stuff that is expensive.

My Clarkii's just love the Rose Bubble Tips in my tank. I seem to be able to grow these better than anything else. I've got too many right now so I'll let you have for one for $35 if you're interested. Dave in Woodinville.

Click on the link in my signature for the Resource Library. Lookup anemones there in the invertebrate section. That will give you a good start on researching anemones and their needs in the home aquarium.

I've been keeping anemones for several years now, and I can say w/o hesitation, they are probably the most difficult animal to keep in the aquarium and really should not be tried by beginners. Sorry to be the one to say things you dont want to hear, but read the links and it will give you a better sense of what I'm talking about.

Having said all of that, a BTA is probably your best bet, and going with a captive propagated one is ideal in your case.

Nick

Keep in mind that starting your tank with established water does virtually nothing for your tank. The living bacterias that we want in our tank don't live in the water column. They adhere to live rock, live sand and glass. "established" water is more likely to be lower in trace elements that are restored during water changes, so in fact, you're probably better off starting with new water.

Back