what are some good monitoring systems?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

newly reefer

Ive looked into a lot of them and was wondering, what is a good or the best monitor that they have out there? i would prefer a all in one testing most or all of the tanks parameters. the seneye and the reef angel are both intriguing but was wondering if ay one else one this forum has used one or something similar. any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

One of the Best would have to be Profilux but costly
Reef Keeper is a good unit from what I hear
Apex is dead last and avoid if you value your reef tank

Do your research before you buy, not just ask which is the best. The best for me could be the worst for you.

You get what you pay for.....

Last edited:
most of them have that now a days if they have net connection. If the unit only emails you can call your provider and ask them for the email address to text your phone. I know verizon is [email protected]

One of the Best would have to be Profilux but costly
Reef Keeper is a good unit from what I hear
Apex is dead last and avoid if you value your reef tank

Do your research before you buy, not just ask which is the best. The best for me could be the worst for you.

You get what you pay for.....

LOL would you care to explain your stance on the APEX? I have used mine to monitor tanks with thousands of dollars in livestock in them....with great success at that.

most of them have that now a days if they have net connection. If the unit only emails you can call your provider and ask them for the email address to text your phone. I know verizon is [email protected]

Also the Apex can text message you, email you, allow worldwide access via the internet including webcam capabilities as well as offers support for both the Apple IOS and Android operating systems for smarrtphones.....

The Neptune Systems were never designed as a complete unit from start to finish. It was designed by taking this piece of equipment and making it work with that equipment. Then add other piece and make all three work together. Keep doing that and you have conflicts. The Apex was to solve all of that but soon Neptune Systems went back to their old ways and we now have sub par equipment band-aided together with software with bugs in it.

Great piece of equipment to turn the lights on and off but not reliable in my opinion for my use any longer. Even my local dealer dropped Neptune Systems and went to Reef Keeper because of the issues or lack of support he was getting from Neptune Systems.

They have known issues from Aqua Jr. Days they refuse to fix. The programming in the Apex is just the evolving of the Aqua Jr. The Apex was to be designed as one system with all new programming. It is not....

I disagree. I find the advanced programming to be very robust and able to maintain multiple tanks with well over 1000 gallons of volume. Reefkeeper if anything is more ad hoc than the Apex system with far less capabilities and far worse customer service. This isjust my opinion, but it differs from a hobbyist consumer and someone running systems for a business purpose.

As someone running a reef keeper I really want an apex. The reef keeper works the way they want it to work, it doesn't work the way I want it to work. That's the largest difference for me.

ok so what if you did not have o worry about cost... with in reason of course? and a all in one system. what would be a product to look into??

Depends on what you are doing. That question is too vague. An Apex can manage my little coral side project/business start but if I had say 20000 gallons I would use a profilux.

I'm with akunochi and jrgilles, I have an Apex and I love it. Programing is simple and very capable. Any CS issues are usually responded to in under 24 hours, weekdays usually within hours. Very responsive software developing, and their module based system allows you to add just what you need.

My Apex has yet to mess up, and it controls everything in my tank, and has actually saved my bacon a time or two when I was away and the tank got too hot with its warning settings. Not to mention I can monitor my system anywhere I have cell service, and even control certain parameters at the simple touch of a button.

Yes so a good point brought up here is that with the app for my android I can control the outlets, view my graphs and alter feed modes. If that isn't enough I can log into the unit via the browser and control anything i want just like I was sitting there.

fwiw, the iPhone has an app for My Reef 2.0 that can control the devices for those that use a RKE...

I think there are several excellent controllers out there and they all do a very good job of monitoring your system, which is what the OP was asking about. From my personal experience I have seen many issues with the Neptune temp probes. Digital Aquatics has had some real struggles getting a salinity probe that lasts long. (This is because they want to sell a salinity probe for under $100 that works. Currently they are all a lot more money) The Profilux systems are expensive and in my opinion tough to get various parts/modules for them here in the states.

Bottom line is if all you want is a monitoring device, then buy an RKL Basic ($119), an SL-2 ($89), a NET ($119) and you can monitor a lot of parameters and get email and/or text messages to your phone. You can also remotely program and control your system from your iPhone or Android phone, but I don't know why anyone would do that remotely.

I think there are several excellent controllers out there and they all do a very good job of monitoring your system, which is what the OP was asking about. From my personal experience I have seen many issues with the Neptune temp probes. Digital Aquatics has had some real struggles getting a salinity probe that lasts long. (This is because they want to sell a salinity probe for under $100 that works. Currently they are all a lot more money) The Profilux systems are expensive and in my opinion tough to get various parts/modules for them here in the states.

Bottom line is if all you want is a monitoring device, then buy an RKL Basic ($119), an SL-2 ($89), a NET ($119) and you can monitor a lot of parameters and get email and/or text messages to your phone. You can also remotely program and control your system from your iPhone or Android phone, but I don't know why anyone would do that remotely.

I do it remotely because I spend more time out of the country than in it. My wife can do some basic tasks, but I love being able to adjust based off the graphs I can view from Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Japan, Afghanistan etc.

$119), an SL-2 ($89), a NET ($119) = 327

You can get an Apex Jr for 149.95, and Apex Lite for for 366 with a free PH probe, or a full Apex with free PH probe for 454. So really the prices are all pretty irrelevant. It is going to come down to the degree of sophistication required as well as your preference on user interface.

....The Profilux systems are expensive and in my opinion tough to get various parts/modules for them here in the states..

Yes GHL ProfiLux are expensive if you're just scrolling webpages but if you really look at the whole unit and quality of materials it's not expensive. Also the parts/modules are tremendously available in the US and will be even more so with some recent strategic changes made for the US gang by GHL Global distributors. There are some amazing "Package Deals" going on right now with ProfiLux which is helping people who are on the fence and stuck merely because of $$ move on up into the ProfiLux. I know of one offer that's a beginner package with a doser and the cost is so reduced that basically the doser is FREE. I actually know of 2 complete packages that are on order right now from 2 fellow reefers (1 is due to the owner today or tomorrow).

I will say that my Neptune Systems controllers never failed a single time but they just never did everything I wanted them to do. I finally sold my last one in order to buy a used ProfiLux a couple of years ago and I'm thrilled I did. If I didn't have a ProfiLux right now I'd have no question in my mind that I'd save up and get one at the earliest moment I could.

I've done Neptune controller(s) and now I'm running ProfiLux. My only regret with going ProfiLux was not doing it sooner.

One other strong point for the GHL ProfiLux family is that they work very hard to try and make every new component as backwards compatible as they can while still embracing better technology. My used ProfiLux (was 2 years old when I bought it) is now updated to where it can run the latest and greatest hardware out today as well as expandable to keep going a long time into the future. Also GHL has some of the best and most knowledgeable technical support that I've ever seen.

I'm very biased I admit but it's because I've owned some other controllers and I know exactly what makes Allen happy. Is ProfiLux the right controller for everyone? Heck no! There is no such thing. Is it the right controller for Allen? You betcha it is! It boils down to what really works for you and your current/future needs. For me it's a no brainer and I'm gung-ho ProfiLux.

If anyone needs details about the things I mentioned I can provide links but I feel like it's better to not "cross link" to other forums unless it can't be avoided.

Back