What are these?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

J-dub

These have been in my tank awhile now. They came on a peice of rock and started growing then split in two and this is what I have. They don't seem to be bothering anything but what should I do with them? Should I be feeding them?
-Thanks

J-dub,

If those are about the size of a dime to a nickle... they are probably a Majano Anemonie. There are a few people that like them in a small Nano type tank... but most people treat them as a pest anemonie... and use Joe's Juice, boiling water injections or a Kalk-paste to get rid of them before they spread to your entire tank.

How do you do boiling water injections? (self explainitory?) I have pickling lime would that work on these? I use that to kill the other pest anemonies I have. Do I get them from over feeding? I feed once in the morning and once in the evening.

Do I get them from over feeding?

It's not an algae so highly doubt it. It probably came on your rock as a hitch hiker. I've personally never had to deal with mojanos or aptasia as of yet (hopefully never) but I think the boiling water technique is like you said...Self explanitory. Atleast that's what I gather from it. Good luck getting rid of him and I'd look closely around for any others:)

Last edited:
kinda looks like

kinda looks like a ricorida mushroom,but could be manajo.If they florese under blue attentics han there not manajo's

They look like hairy mushrooms. So they need no special food. They split on there own. Should be dark green. Mild light. I have four myself...

Greg

Yes, Majanos aka tulip anemones.
Not hairy mushrooms. In good lighting and good water they can turn bright colors, in lesser conditions they are ugly brown. The young of the bright greens will still be the same brown. Some like them, that is until the rock gets covered or zoas get stung and one realizes the amount of work it will take to eradicate them.

i dont think its majano. its tenticals go all the way up to the oral disk, majano dosent do that, plus it split. i dont think they do that either(majano).

looks just like a mushroom

the pic is a bit blury

I'm no expert but my Mojo's ( had a few at the begining) were kinda half circlish..like a head on frogspawn, with a thin foot connecting it to the rock...and my mushrooms are flat, or layed out looking with only the foot attached.

not sure if that helps, all I did to get rid of them was pull the rock out of the water and scrape it off ( get everything) and rinse the area. haven't seen them since.

Looks like a small BTA to me, if I was to take a wild guess. It has way to many tentacles to be a Majano. Need a better pic.

I tried to take some better pics but I can't hold the dang camera still enough to get any better ones (need a tri-pod). Now my batterys are dead but I'll get some new ones and try agian. But I did put some pickling lime on them and they disinagrated only in the middle were I put the lime. Since, they have regrown and look the same only smaller. They are about the size of a penny and sort of look like a mushroom but have little tenticle all over the face of them. It seems like I can make out a mouth in the center of it if that helps.? Thanks agian

Back