What are these??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Iellei

What are these??
:confused:

I have no idea what these are, they both came in on some LR that I got when I bought an existing tank a few weeks ago.

Any ideas? This tank is intended to be FOWLR, for more agressive species. I don't want the fish to nip, or be hurt either so I want to identify these...

Currently in the tank are: Chocolate Chip Starfish, Snails, Hermits, one 3" Blue Velvet Damsel, a 1.5" Yellowtail Damsel and a 2" Marginated Damselfish. All 3 Damsels were acquired from purchased tanks and the last 2 may be traded for others or given away someday. My Hubby really likes the Blue Velvet's personality so the tank is being put together around it ;)

I read a thread about someone finding something like that on his live rock and it turned out to be a torch coral. cant find the thread though. it was on nano-reef.com

i think the "anemone" looking pink things are glass anemone's(could be wrong)..the feather looking things are just that..they are just filter feeding inverts..not harmful

I did a Google image search and it certainly does look like it could be a Torch Coral once it gets bigger. It super tiny right now! I know it isn't a Glass Anemone, (I had those in another tank so I'm familiar with them) however it's possible it is another type of anemone.

Any ideas about the brown clumps?

Last edited:
Ok, I think it is a Strawberry Anemone (Corynactis Californica)

Thanks for steering me in the right direction!

Does anyone know how big the brown clumps will get or anything else about them?

Last edited:
I do not believe those are anemones, I think they are hydroids, (hydroid jellies) to be exact..

I'll find a pic for you...

Matt

For some reason I'm getting an error and can't see the page you linked Matts125.

Here is a physical description written by Seavolt, H. 2001. "Tubularia crocea" (On-line),

Individually, each hydroid has a stem-like feature, the pedicel, and a flower-like feature, the hydranth. Each hydranth has one row of tentacles around the central mouth and one proximal row, consisting of 16-25 shorter tentacles. Tubularia crocea has gray stalks and pink hydranths, thus leading to its common names of "pink-hearted hydroid" or "pink-mouthed clustered hydroid,"

The creature has been growing, but I don't see any stalk yet. (It's still super teeny though!) It looks more like the Strawberry Anemone right now, but maybe it just hasn't gotten big enough to grow a stalk yet :p

Thank you for your concern Returnofsid. The two creatures this tank is intended for are the Choc Chip Star, and the Blue Velvet Damsel, no corals or peaceful animals. I have a different tank housing the peaceful creatures and corals.

I am positive this is not an Aptaisa. However I am more and more convinced it is a variety of "Strawberry Anemone". This one is not light sensitive, however I did disturb it yesterday to see if it would react. It promptly closed up and still has not opened! Apparently it is cranky lol! I also noticed there are several more around it that are almost impossible to see because they are so tiny, so I believe I will have a colony there in so time. Not sure yet if I want to remove it or not...anyone have any thoughts on that? This is an aggressive tank...

As for the brown colony, I do believe it is some sort of Feather Duster colony, as it too pulls in the "feathers" when disturbed. Why couldn't it at least be a pretty color?? I think I'll move it to the other tank to ensure it's survival. ;)

Thank you to everyone that has responded, you guys rock!!

those are cold water anemone I have some in my tank they do not get larger than that go to my past threads and Ill have a picture of a small one

Those brown things are hydroids... fer sure. Got them in my tank. You don't want to ensure their survival... they spread pretty well. Kalk paste will nuke them. Or just take the rock out and scrub the living heck out of it!

I believe you may have majanos possibly. Not to scare you but I litterally have probably 50 in my tank and they are taking over. VERY big nucence. I have had aptasia and much easier to kill than these.

I would just be sure before you leave it alone. You don't want it to take over if it is majano.

Thanks,
Alison:)

Back