What book should I buy?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

starpolypsgirl

Hey all! Thanks for reading... I want to buy my husband a nice reef/coral book as he is an avid hobbyist and we have two huge tanks up. I have no idea what to get him and would like to get a book for him for Fathers Day because on top of him fathering the tanks we also have a child.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

starpolypsgirl

I know you were asking about a book, but if I might, you can also look at this magazine. http://www.coralmagazineus.com/ I don't have a subscription myself, but I've looked through it when I visit LFS that carry it. It has great articles and some stunning photos. Each month focuses on a different topic. The price might seem a bit high for only 6 issues, but a coral/reef book is going to be about the same price.

Eric Borneman's Coral book is really good, so if Anthony Calfo's book of coral propagation, but its a little harder to find. Books on fish my luck has been a little more hit and miss, we have 3 already, and use all 3 differently. I've seen somecool books online, go to amazon.com or borders or barnes & noble or half price books.
Good luck in your search!

Julian Sprung ,'Corals a Quick reference guide'.
He also has a invert book thats really helpful.
(we dont stock them currently)

ARSA

I agree with the Eric Borneman book, excellent book. The magazine subscription is also a good choice.

I have Calfo's book on propagation and didn't find it helpful. It dealt primarily with his green house that he built for coral propagation. This isn't something that most of us are going to use.

There are 2 books that I would highly recommend any aquarist to have:
1. A PocketExpert Guide: Marine Fishes by Scott W. Michael
2. A PocketExpert Guide: Marine Invertebrates by Ronald L. Shimed, PH.D.

I refer to these guides constantly and try to remember to take them with me whenever I travel out of town. If your husband does not have these, please consider getting him one or both. He will greatly appreciate it. Good luck.

Coral Reefs , natures richest realm by Steene is a prize book any serious reef keeper would love to have.

Don

Ha! This was my wife that posted this and I had know idea. Thanks for the subscription to Coral Magazine babe. I love you! :)

Natural Reef Aquariums: Simplified Approaches to Creating Living Saltwater Microcosms by Tullock, John

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Fenner, Robert

Reef Invertebrates: An Essential Guide to Selection, Care and Compatibility by Clafo, Anthony

IF YOU WANT KNOWLEDGE instead of pretty pictures, and want to learn the true facts about what is going on in your reef tank, go old school and get Martin Moes book, while dated by all the glossy picture magazines, it covers the science behind reef keeper in an easy to understand manner. He's got a Masters Degree in marine biology and has been keeping tanks and was a forefather of breeding clownfish since 1969.

http://www.aquariumhobbyist.com/articles/MartinMoe.html

Back