What brand and type of Heater do I need?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jaredpilot

Setting up a 160gallon with a sump. I'm planning on keeping the heater in the sump and was wondering what are good brands for heaters? I was told to stick with a titanium and preferably one that has a controller to regulate the heat and prevent runaways. I've found a lot on ebay that are fairly cheap but I understand the dangers here...any suggestions?

Ive had three Ebo Jager 250's on my tank for four years without problem. You should use more than one heater and size them smaller as a fail safe system. If one sticks on, the tank wont heat up to boiling in a few hours and will give you time to hopefully catch the problem. If one quits working, there will be a second heater to take its place and the tank will only cool slowly giving you time to catch that as well.

I have been using Stealth heaters for the past few years w/o problems, until just recently when 1 quit working (stopped heating all together). When I inspected it, a 2 inch section in the plastic had split open and I could see the inside slightly. Did not appear to be a melting of the plastic, just looked like the plastic shell cracked open like it was brittle or something. I called customer service & even though I don't have my original receipt, since it carries a lifetime warranty they said I could mail it in for repair/replacement (they did warn me that w/o receipt they would only honor the warranty 1 time, which seems fair enough).

Very glad there was no electricution or meltdown, etc. And, very happy with the response I got from customer service. Hopefully I'll get my replacement back soon...

I also use Stealth heaters. I guess they won my trust when I use to breed Discus. I would have the heat cranked up on them to around 89 deg for months at a time with no problems at all. I have put them through hell and they are all still working just fine.

This is a single stage controller. I use the dual stage since I also have a chiller. Very reliable

Back