what can I dip my zoo's in if I suspect problems because they are not opening?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

They take Iodine dips (Lugols Sollution) very well and seems to work well at dislodging pests like nudibranchs and snails also.

Cheers, Todd

a couple pints of salt water with a couple drops of lugol's solution in it.

If you suspect Zoapox, you can do a furan 2 dip. I have a protocol for this, but don't know it off hand.

Maybe coralRx?

ive freshwater dipped zoos before to rid off a sundial! Now im curently using revive on all my coral!

Any Iodine solution such as Lugol's or a freshwater dip is most helpful. Most of the stuff out there is a 90-95% distilled water mixed with some 5-10% added ingredients (including Iodine for some products).

No more than 5 minutes and try to get the freshwater temp the same as the tank temp (if possible). And give the zoanthids a little shake in the FW before returning them to the display tank.

Thanks, did it. Some small white dots the size of the sharp tip of a pin came off. I will keep you informed. Will try the lugol's next if this doesn't work.

Sounds like zoa pox to me. Furan 2 cures it. I can hook you up with some as well as instructions for treatment if you are in seattle and decide you need it. I am in the central district

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

I'm a big fan of H2O2 dips for all of my coral upon arrival. I've had good luck on softies, zoas, SPS but haven't tried any LPS yet (haven't gotten any in a long time). I wont add another frag plug/disc to my tank without a H2O2 dip ever again.

Just keep in mind that H2O2 can indeed HARM living organisms (hence why we use it to kill pests) but done carefully (I suggest you do some experimenting on something other than you PRIZED coral colony) is very effective especially cleaning plugs/frags of nuisance algae.

How depends on the coral and "why" I'm dipping. If it's just prophylactic then I dip for about 3 minutes in a 50/50 solution with the coral mostly elevated out. I use TANK water so the parameters are close and I bring the H2O2 up to tank temp by floating a container in the tank for about 20 minutes.

I add the tank water to my "Drip Bowl", add the desired amount of H2O2 and then put the frag in. Most of the time I have a piece of egg-crate in the bowl to help elevate the majority of the coral itself out of the mix and just "In the air all naked". If it's a bad infestation then I'll submerge the whole coral in the dip and monitor. Dip times vary according to why I'm dipping but the most I've dipped is for a solid 10 minutes totally submerged in 50/50 bath.

The only loss I've had from this dip was some SPS which were ( in my belief) on their way out already and I was just experimenting then. The portion of the colony that wasn't previously damaged did fine with the H202 bath.

I've got some pics of Palys being dipped and have a video stashed around here somewhere. When I run across them I'll post back.

Just BE CAREFUL! If you have any hesitation or unsure of something don't do it.

Also any time I dip I give the coral a good "swooshing around" in the bath to hopefully remove anything loose to keep it out of the DT.

Back