What do you feed your Clownfish(es)?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

What do you feed your clownfish(es)?

• Live foods (anything live, please specify if you choose this)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Frozen homemade 'mush' (anything bought from supermarket, blended, cut, etc)

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Frozen, but NOT from supermarket (mysis shrimp, bloodworms, silversides, etc)

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Frozen premixed 'gelled' foods (Formula 1,2,VHP, Sally's, or any other gel-bound foods)

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Freeze-dried foods (anything freeze-dried, but specify which type/brand)

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Pelleted foods (anything that come in this form, specify type/brand)

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Flake foods (anything that are in this form, specify type/brand/mix)

Votes: 9 20.9%

• Total voters

Elmo18

Clownfish
Hi there...Just thought i'd get some help from people here, and if you have some time to chime in.

I will put some results later in the clownfish workshop section.

So i'd like to see what you guys feed your clownfish(es)? This is over a period of ONE week. Choose only 1 option on what you feed the most in any given week. If you feed many times with a specific type of food, and only once or twice with another type during the week, select only what is fed the most.

IF you feel that you feed two things in 'equal' amounts, vote for the one that you would 'choose' if you were given only one option.

Best,
Ilham

Last edited:
I choose flake food's because of what I feed the most.
ocean nutrition brand
formula 1, 2
brine shrimp plus
and prime reef
I think it is a nice mix of different vitamins they need..

I also feed frozen foods but mostly flakes. change it up daily.

Great thread Ilham!

Great thread Ilham. Hopefully we can learn from this. Also, should we post what type of clownfish? Well, I have 2 tomato clowns and feed them Ocean Nutrition Flake Food Formula 1 and 2. I also feed Brine Shrimp once a week, and bloodworms once a week.

My percs get a frozen blend of ,
Shrimp, squid, scallop, clam, oyster, octupus, perch, brine shrimp, mysis, krill, DTs oyster eggs, All 7 sizes of golden pearls, Some frozen one eyed red plankton, Red nori, green nori, Selco, Garlic. It is not all just tossed into a blender that will turn everything into mush. I seem to have some pretty good success with it and my clowns :)

Thank you for posting. Keep them coming if you haven't polled yet.

You do not specifically have to say what type of clownfish you have, although it doesn't hurt. Just description of the foods is enough.

Best,
Ilham

50/50 with brine shrimp and Formula 1

I have a pair of ocellaris clowns

I have a Black Onyx Percula pair that I feed frozen blender mush to. This isn't blender mush I put together, though, but Rod's Food.

I also feed frozen mysis (soaked in Vita-chem, and selcon alternately), and Arcti-pods. I chose the blender mush because more days of the week, I'm feeding that :).

I have a Black Onyx Percula pair that I feed frozen blender mush to. This isn't blender mush I put together, though, but Rod's Food.

I also feed frozen mysis (soaked in Vita-chem, and selcon alternately), and Arcti-pods. I chose the blender mush because more days of the week, I'm feeding that :).

Cool Nikki :) Good descriptions.

Best,
Ilham

i feed mine frozen Prime Reef and and Formula 1 pellets..i would say i feed the Formula 1 the most!! i have a clarki and a tomato clown.

voted flake but feed frozen mysis on occasion too, though i'm probably switching to pellet in the near future, this is too both pairs of clowns i have your clarkii's elmo and an ocelleris pair

I feed a variety also...formula one pellets and flakes as well as frozen mysis and a frozen mush mixture I made up. :)

This is a hard poll for me to vote on as I could very easily select several different awnsers.

Formula 1 Flake
Formula 2 Frozen
Frozen Mysis
Home made mash (Shrimp,Scallop, Catfish, Formula 2, DTs Phyto, Mysis)
Reef Frenzy

I just used up the last of my mash though.

The results so far are interesting.....

Keep them coming folks. Thank you again for participating.

Best,
Ilham

Very tought choices!

I have to say as well Ilham this is hard for me to nail down as one dedicated food. I feed my Black and White ocellaris Clownfish alot more of the frozen varity because They are in my LPS Tank so Mysid and Formula 1 and a lot of Prime Reef.
Now in My Sps Tank that I try to keep alot cleaner water quality :confused:
I mainly feed my pair of Amphiprion frenatus "tomatos" Flake food and pellet foods I never stay with one brand I change them alot I feed smaller feeds in this tank for the gobies but the Clowns also will eat the smaller foods I also feed alot of Cyclopeze and the Tomatos will eat that as well I must be doing some thing right these are the guys that have a batch of eggs brewing.

So with all this rambling which one do you want me to pick??? :D

Jeff

I feed mine a batch of market seafood stir-fry, that I add shrimp to and toss in the blender. It is a mix if squid, clams, shrimp, and a bit of cod or other white fish. Keep it frozen in small broken off chunks. The entire tank goes nuts for it.

I feed my clowns with every type of flake food Ocean Nutrition makes (Formula 1, Formula 2, Prime Reef, Brine shrimp) which I alternate all the time. I've tried Ocean Nutritions pellets, but they just get lost in the tank:)

Back