What do you think about my current clown situation?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Now that I'm upgrading my tank from a 7g to a 14g, I'd like to try and get a second clown since the first female died. Heres the situation, About 9 months ago, I got my pair of semi snowflake clowns. about 6 or 7 months later, the female (or more dominating, larger one) died due to some issues. Thus my little smaller clown has been single for about 3-4 months. And s/he is very aggressive, biting me when I put my hand in the tank. My little guy hasn't really grown much since the death of the larger fish, it still sits at about 1.25-1.5 inches long.

Now what should I do? Is this fish now a female? or is it still juvy? And if I'm going to try and pair it up, should I put in a smaller fish? Or should I just get one thats about the same size? Its kinda tough to get one smaller than it right now, I fear that anything smaller could be a risky decision especially if I want a small 1" designer.

Any advice is appreciated,
Thanks.

Now that I'm upgrading my tank from a 7g to a 14g, I'd like to try and get a second clown since the first female died. Heres the situation, About 9 months ago, I got my pair of semi snowflake clowns. about 6 or 7 months later, the female (or more dominating, larger one) died due to some issues. Thus my little smaller clown has been single for about 3-4 months. And s/he is very aggressive, biting me when I put my hand in the tank. My little guy hasn't really grown much since the death of the larger fish, it still sits at about 1.25-1.5 inches long.

Now what should I do? Is this fish now a female? or is it still juvy? And if I'm going to try and pair it up, should I put in a smaller fish? Or should I just get one thats about the same size? Its kinda tough to get one smaller than it right now, I fear that anything smaller could be a risky decision especially if I want a small 1" designer.

Any advice is appreciated,
Thanks.

First of all, your tank before AND after the upgrade is too small.. I wouldn't put a clown in anything smaller than a standard size 20 and a 30 for a group. When clownfish are born, they are all born as males. When they start a colony the bigger, more aggressive clown will become crowned queen and become a female... when the female dies then they will begin to agrue and fight with each other until another one turns into a female. I would buy a clown thats slightly smaller than the one you already have, since its the only clown it will be female so if you got a smaller male then there wouldn't be too much trouble... but I would catch the one you already have, and acclimate them together back in the tank this way they kinda get used to each other and added at the same time.

I agree. the 14 is a little small for clowns. 30 gal or larger would be good. I would keep just the one for now. If it hasnt already turned female, it will. later down the road when you upgrade to a larger tank, get a small young one and aclimate them both to the new tank. She will be fine alone for now.

LOL...no they are not evil! they are sweet little fishies!
I have a rescue female clown that had been alone for years. brought her home and about 2 months later picked up a litte guy and introduced him to the tank and they got along just fine. Its been a year and a half and they are still doing fine.
they all have their own personalities really, so its possible she wont accept a new male and then she may be perfectly happy with him.
I have introduced older male and female black ocellaris and they got along right away too and still doing great.

And if your expecting your present clown to become friendly...forget it! Clowns are pure evil period!! Lol
Nemo can never be trusted can he! :heh:, Also wouldn't nemo's dad really be his mother since they change?... its a strange thought..

But anyway they can be troublesome sometimes with some situations.

I have the scars between my fingers to prove they're evil! Dang fish always went for the tender spots-lol oh and the scars on the top of my hands from smacking it on the lights out of fear!! Pure evilness they are!! Lmao!

Anybody else realize this thread was started in 2011? This is the second thread I've seen where people are just now responding to a 2 year old post lol. I don't our response is doing the thread person much good now lol.

My bad, I've been going around looking for threads that had 0 replies trying to help not relizing the dates :becky:. But no matter, before I joined the forum I always watched the threads so it still helps to answer questions for future generations to see.

I have the scars between my fingers to prove they're evil! Dang fish always went for the tender spots-lol oh and the scars on the top of my hands from smacking it on the lights out of fear!! Pure evilness they are!! Lmao!

LOL!!! sorry, but thats funny!

My bad, I've been going around looking for threads that had 0 replies trying to help not relizing the dates :becky:. But no matter, before I joined the forum I always watched the threads so it still helps to answer questions for future generations to see.

Not a problem. your right, someone will need this info at one time or another.

We appreciate everyones experience and knoweledge. It is always helpful.

Lorrie mine absolutely do this too me all the time as well. The female is the spawn of satan!! The male just follows suit!!

Sent from the great beyond via Tapatalk 2.5!!

Okay, someone needs to start a new thread on experiences with their devil fish!

Its a joke, ever seen how messed up fish look sometimes at petco? Reason why its best to buy from family owned businesses instead (most of the time...).

Please refrain from any negative comments on anyone even those that do not sponsor here. Thank you

I'm laughing with you and at myself, for being afraid of a lil fish!!

Actually I did have a GSM that when the anemone split, I was removing one of the nems and it attached my hand. It surprised me because she has never even threatened even other fish before that. She didnt draw blood, but she took skin. I jumped in surprise, and then got the net to keep her away from me.

Back