What do you think I should do with my fuge?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kozmo02

180 SPS tank, 2 years old, 100g refugium attached.

I don't think the refugium is doing well, the fuge has a sandbed of about 3", live rock, and chaeto.

The chaeto does well, however, the fuge itself is covered in nuisance algaes. None of these algaes are in the main display, only in the refugium, so in that respect it isn't a problem.

I was considering tearing out the sand and live rock and just doing a bare bottom fuge with chaeto in it, and then the fuge could also serve as my water change area by draining water out of the 100g fuge for water changes instead of pumping it out of the sump.

The fuge gets pretty good water flow, but maybe it is not enough, increasing it is not an option because the standpipes are maxed out on what they can handle for flow, they are 1" drains, in retrospect I should have gone bigger but the tank was already drilled for 1" bulkheads so I just went that route.

My main question is, do you think there will be any adverse effects to tearing down the fuge like that? I would keep about 1/2 of the water to put back into the tank and about 50% new so really it would be the equivalent of about a 50 gallon water change on a nearly 300g system, except the sand and live rock would be removed too.

I think this could help keep things cleaner too, like I said, no problems in the display itself, but the fuge just isn't cutting it in my opinion and I wanted to see what you all thought about me taking out the sand/live rock. There isn't much live rock, less than ten lbs. total....

Thanks!

Since I have been through this already I will respond. Why change anything. If its in the sump/Fuge whats it hurting? Its better to have it in the fuge then in the tank for sure. I would loose the rock in the sump, keep the Cheato, Let the cheato get thick and compete for the same nutrients base the algae is taking in. If your levels are good algae will disappear because the Macro is taking all the food. Best to leave it and just remove the rock right now. Also test for Nitrates and Nitrites and as well aother things Algae thrive on.

Well yea that's the thing, the algae hasn't really had an effect on the main tank at all, it is all in the fuge alone.

I do have to say though that a majority of the nusiance algae does appear to be on the rockwork so you think I should just remove the rock for now and see how that goes?

no sand?

if u remove the sand than it is no longer a working refugium.The concept behind a refugium is to have a sand bed that is undisturbed and allowed to complete tthe nitrogen cycle and allow micro fana and amphs and so on and so on convert your fish waste back to basic carbon.This in my oppinion is the only way to run a saltwater tank,naturally,biologically

the main display has a sandbed. a lot of people run bare bottom fuges with just chaeto, that was the option i was considering.

i know everything about the benefits of a fuge and how it works, i was just exploring the option of changing it up.

ever heard the expression dont change it if it aint broken thats more of an aquascaping expression but i reackon it would apply here
im starting to have a nussiacne alge break out in my 30gl i might have a few to many fish and not enough snails a blennys would eat it but now im rambaling anyway best of luck with the decession u make

Kozmo, I think Morgan,Ecobalance& Reefdaddy all have made very good points. If I was in your shoes, I would test for Po4 Phosphate, If hi start running a Phosphate remover. Pull live rock out Or Like Bob said BEEF UP your janitors, Do you have a Tang you can put in there to help clean up the
nuisance algaes, Or go with More snails Hermits,Lettuce Nudibrocks...
Just throwing some ideas...I wish you luck But IF i was lucky enough to have a 100 gallon fudge I would leave it just like you currently have it but increase My Janitors..
Good luck in your decision...Jeff

Last edited:
Taking a step backwards, then looking at things again.

We recommend Fuge's... as a place to grow MacroAlgae's... so they can help remove nutrients from our systems... so our main tanks remain free of other algae's.

Hummmm... sounds like your Fuge is doing EXACTLY that to me! :)

I'll agree... a pretty fuge is nicer to sit and look at, but every time I've gone and tried to do something to mine to make it "pretty"... my display ends up suffering, and minor algaes begin again. When I just let my fuge grow the various Macro Algaes, and even some nasty microalgaes (diatoms seem to be the worst in there for me), my main display is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Maybe I will take a picture of the fuge and post it so you guys can see, I think that would help.

I really appreciate all the input, I do think the live rock may be a problem because the worst of the nuisance algae has developed on the live rock and I think the live rock isn't even effective anymore at this point.

I am fine with leaving the sand bed and chaeto in, initially I thought bare bottom but I'm not sure. I will take a picture of the fuge later and post it and maybe that will help out.

Ok here are some pictures, I know they aren't very good but my camera is pretty old and I was in a hurry to take them, I tried to get various shots of the fuge and the algaes.

What is irritating to me is that on my old 90 gallon I had a 40g fuge that was extremely successful, tons of life, chaeto grew great, etc. I could look into it and just see pods and things everywhere, on this fuge I see very little life, the chaeto grows fairly well but probably would do better with more light, I had a halide over it but the fixture went out on me so I have been using the LOA's.

Anyhow, check out the pics, I'd love to get some opinions because I just feel liek this fuge isn't doing as well as it could be compared to the last fuge that I had.

I am not new to the hobby or fuges so feel free to give me any suggestions you may have, you don't have to noobify it for me :D

Thanks!

fuge1.jpg

fuge2.jpg

fuge3.jpg

fuge4.jpg

fuge5.jpg

fuge6.jpg

fuge7.jpg

fuge9.jpg

cool refugium.Ithink the advice of checking your phosphates is a good one .Mine were always on the slightly high side,untill i installed a phosphate reactor just a week ago.Its a 2 little fishes brand with the coffee looking stuff in it and phosphates are zero.Iwould also pay close attention to grain size and depth in your refuge ive found that is an important factor that cant be over looked.And one more thing a refugium doesn'tt really start working properly till its been left alone for a year or so.and the only rock you want in it is rubble so not to create dead spots under the rocks.

thank is a little over 2 years old, fuge has been up since day one.

I have a phosban reactor right now that is running carbon, I have always been hesitant to run phosban because it has been known to cause some bad effects with SPS unless you use less than the recommended amount in most cases.

I have an extra phosban reactor though that isn't being used, so I can leave that open as an option.

2 steps first.

OK Kozmo Great pictures they say allot . First you need to load up on some janitors put some snails in there Get a mixture of Turbo Snails,Nerite Snails and some Cerith Snails I have seen the Cerith Snails eat that jelly looking Algae on the sides of your tank Glass. I would even Think about introducing a Lettuce Nudibranch OR a sea hare. But Please do some research on those 2 guys first. As for phosban reactor, Before running Please test your tank. I personally think your going to see it. But test first before adding Phosban do you have any Bryopsis in the tank?

thank is a little over 2 years old, fuge has been up since day one.

I have a phosban reactor right now that is running carbon, I have always been hesitant to run phosban because it has been known to cause some bad effects with SPS unless you use less than the recommended amount in most cases.

I have an extra phosban reactor though that isn't being used, so I can leave that open as an option.

I’m definitely no expert and you probably know more than me, but I think you were originally on to something with concerns about flow. In some of your pictures it looks like cyanobacteria to me which I think is an indication of low flow. Maybe you could try dropping a couple of power heads in there for a while and see what happens. I think you probably had better flow in your previous setup than what you have now.

Haole: I agree on the flow, it definitely could be better.

The Apprentice: No bryopsis in the display at all, I have actually never had bryopsis in any of my reefs (knock on wood) and I've been in the hobby 9 years now I'm just new to posting here, normally I post with my local reef club and on RC.... Like I said, I am familiar with all of this stuff, fuges are not new to me, it has just always baffled me how poorly this one seems to be doing.

Also, I would never use phosban without testing. I believe I have a PO4 test kit, so I will test it and see how that looks. I am also getting a new skimmer for the tank which should help.

I may have to invest in some new cleanup critters too, what do you think about removing the rock at this point?

flow

dont forget when you run a tank on a biological level[refugium]you dont want to reley on your return pump for appropriate flow to the main tank,that is done with power heads in the main tank.The flow should be cauculated by the volume of your refugium,usually between 9 and 15 times the volume of water in your refugium per hour,and a power head in the refugium pointing back twards the incomeing water is always good to limit the film that aquires on the top of the water,but these are things you probably already know ,just thought id throw that in.

Flow in the tank is provided by the return pump as well as a closed loop with a sequence dart hooked up to an oceans motions 4 way. The refugium is fed via a 'T' off the return pump, I may consider adding a powerhead or two in the fuge, I have a couple of maxi-jets that aren't being used.

Post # 10 last picture

I may have to invest in some new cleanup critters too, what do you think about removing the rock at this point?

Well Kozmo in that last picture I think I see some Valonia fastigiata Or Bornetella sphaerica It looks like some sort of "bubble algae" I would definitely pull that rock and any more that have any "bubble algae"..
You would be surprised on how quick this would clean up with some more flow and a few hungry guys in there;)

Back