what does this thing to your tank.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

looks like aptasia to me, its a nuisance type anemone. They can spread quickly, try and get rid of it as soon as you can :)

jake65 said:
looks like aptasia to me, its a nuisance type anemone. They can spread quickly, try and get rid of it as soon as you can :)

how? and whats so bad about it?

They will spread and sting any corals you have. They grow and spread very fast. And once out of control they are hard to get rid of.

That is a Majano anemone. They are not as bad as aptasia and they do not spread as fast but they do spread. I myself have about 50 of them. When I get more of them I kill the extras. I don't mind a few but they can get out of control. If they are not up against anything living they will do nothing, but they multiply and if they grow against a coral they "may" sting it to death. Most of my zoos, corals and mushrooms do not seem affected by them and I have some of these anemones living among these but the ones that are up against the gorgonians are a problem. They kill sections of the gorgs. They also kill candy cane corals where they are touching them. It is best to kill off these anemones as soon as you see them. They are not as easy to kill as aptasia as I have recently injected them with a solution of Clorox, Iodine, formalin and even copper (very diluted) If the anemone is in an upright position you could bury it under salt, they hate that. Just mix some salt with a very little water so it is like toothpaste and using a baster or large hypo, pour it on the anemone. Of course this only works if the thing is in a place where it is on top of something. I have had luck injecting them with boiling fresh water.
Good luck.
Paul

(If you like them, I can give all you want. :badgrin:

Attachments

• Feb 10-3.JPG
    Feb 10-3.JPG
    99 KB
Paul B said:
That is a Majano anemone. They are not as bad as aptasia and they do not spread as fast but they do spread. I myself have about 50 of them. When I get more of them I kill the extras. I don't mind a few but they can get out of control. If they are not up against anything living they will do nothing, but they multiply and if they grow against a coral they "may" sting it to death. Most of my zoos, corals and mushrooms do not seem affected by them and I have some of these anemones living among these but the ones that are up against the gorgonians are a problem. They kill sections of the gorgs. They also kill candy cane corals where they are touching them. It is best to kill off these anemones as soon as you see them. They are not as easy to kill as aptasia as I have recently injected them with a solution of Clorox, Iodine, formalin and even copper (very diluted) If the anemone is in an upright position you could bury it under salt, they hate that. Just mix some salt with a very little water so it is like toothpaste and using a baster or large hypo, pour it on the anemone. Of course this only works if the thing is in a place where it is on top of something. I have had luck injecting them with boiling fresh water.
Good luck.
Paul

(If you like them, I can give all you want. :badgrin:

yours are a little more colorfull then mine, i see green on the inside of yours. are u sure their the same.

If you try to scrape it off or cut off, you will just leave some of it behind and possibly spread it around your tank.
I still think it is an aptasia.
Use a product like Joes Juice or the kalkwasser mix.

"yours are a little more colorfull then mine, i see green on the inside of yours. are u sure their the same."

Not much of a picture. Doesen't matter. Both types should be eliminated. Aptasia are clearer and have pointed tentacles. Majanos have bulbous tentacles.
Paul

I have an aiptasia right in the middle of my Xenia one time. Never bothered the Xenia but slowly but sure they migrated away from the aiptasia.

Wibbly Pig said:
Nasty things that will seriously make you think about giving up the hobby.

never that, i rebuild tanks till the day i die and one day i will be breeding tangs and angelfish.lol

babyuu said:
never that, i rebuild tanks till the day i die and one day i will be breeding tangs and angelfish.lol

Dinoflagellates really can make you go insane. Luckily, like most things in this hobby, they can be beaten.

Wibbly Pig said:
Nasty things that will seriously make you think about giving up the hobby.

Welcome to Reeffrontiers from a fellow St. Louisan!!! Maxx is also from St. Louis. Hopefully, you'll consider joining the Saltwater Enthusiasts of St. Louis reef club too or at least attend our upcoming Frag Swap.

Back