What goes in 1st?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

That doesn't make sense to me. We put in our sand first since it goes on the bottom. Next goes water and then rock. When you put your rock in turn it over a few times to make sure all of the bubbles are out. Now you can let it run and test your water regularly to see what it is doing. As soon as it is stable you can think about a cleaner crew.

Live rock first, then sand. that way, the sand can stabilize the rock. Here's a great example of why. When I set up my 75, almost 2 years ago, I put sand in first, and then live rock. A few months ago, I awoke to a potential disaster, which I was able to avert. My pistol shrimp had dug a very large, new tunnel. It had allowed my rocks to shift. I was VERY lucky not to end up with a broken tank. I ended up re-aquascaping and moving the sand to allow rocks to be directly on the glass.

I say chicken.....no wait egg......no chicken...... It doesn't really matter, I have done it both ways sand first, sand after. Then guess what? I decide to re-aquascape a month later! I think what is trying to be said is, sand first or last doesn't matter as long as you dig out the spots where your rock is going to sit.

Only reason it could matter, is if you don't know how to add the sand. If done wrong, will cloud the tank and cover up some nice rock pores. If at first, put sand in before water and pour saltwater into a bowl. If water is already in, lower the sand in a bowl and slowly pour it out underwater.

Only reason it could matter, is if you don't know how to add the sand. If done wrong, will cloud the tank and cover up some nice rock pores. If at first, put sand in before water and pour saltwater into a bowl. If water is already in, lower the sand in a bowl and slowly pour it out underwater.

are you following me?:eek:

It doesn't really matter, I have done it both ways sand first, sand after. Then guess what? I decide to re-aquascape a month later! I think what is trying to be said is, sand first or last doesn't matter as long as you dig out the spots where your rock is going to sit.

+1 for twenty years.

African ciclids undermine rock in the same manner. Make sure the rocks touch the glass and all is well. It also helps to not stack the rock in a precarious manner to begin with. Make your rock work stable.

are you following me?:eek:
Who, me?
nightstalker.jpg

Last edited:
If you put your rock in the tank before water you are going to end up with air pockets on the underside of your rock.

Thank you 4 the info,I just went to LFS and picked up 54lbs of LR and placed it on the bare glass.Next weekend going to add 50 more lbs.

I've also never had problems with air pockets. I just know that, unless your base rock is directly on the glass, you could have a catastrophe in the makings. It almost cost me a tank when my pistol shrimp started a HUGE excavation project. I also think that placing rock on sand can create problems with dead sand areas, under the rocks.

Back