What in the world is it?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Krish

RF STAFF
Sorry for the bad pictures, but if possible, can anyone give me an idea what these things are? I noticed only one before on my new LR and now this morning, I've found about 12 of them. They want to look like small "worm-like" looking volcano's about 1/2 cm tall, white, with a hole on top, but nothing appears to be down the hole in the center. I wish I could get a better picture, but this is all I have to work with. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks...

I have this thing in my tank too (which looks like some kind of white tube worm)if you can see it, and I'm wondering if he has something to do with what they are. I touched it with my net, but it never retreats...

that's a though call dood, from where i see them, they look like snails and the last picture looks like a spider web, i hope someone can recognize them (Nikki is good at that :D) good luck dood, i hope they are not bad :)

It's hard to tell from the picture. It might by baby Scypha ciliata sponges which are completely harmless.

scyphasponge.jpg

i had those thing in my old 120gal tank before & the lfs said they were a somewhat a sponge.they do grow every were in ru tank it even grew in my sump.so all in all they said it was a good thing.:cool:

Thanks for the info guys...

Curt, it does look almost identical to your picture. I would say not as brown and fuzzy looking, but almost identical. Thanks...

Yeah they are sponges man. I got the same thing in mine. I think they help with water quality.

Thanks Steve...That makes me feel better if you guys are right(LOL) I just talked to my friend from the LFS and he said they may be tunekit sponges and that he has them too (if that is how it is pronounced or spelled). Is there a such thing? I googled it and only one Japanese site came up(LOL)

Good News Krish

Krish i asked about these guys when i set my tank up and a veteran reefer told me It was sign of healthy tank;) Keep up the work my Friend...Jeff

Thanks for the Info Curt!
Quote:It's hard to tell from the picture. It might by baby Scypha ciliata sponges which are completely harmless

Good News Krish

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Krish i asked about these guys when i set my tank up and a veteran reefer told me It was sign of healthy tank Keep up the work my Friend...Jeff

Whew...Thanks Jeff! I thought you were going to say you've saved a bunch of money by switching to Geico!:shock: I hope that it does mean my tank is healthy! It seems to be and by far is the best it has ever been. Thanks for the words of encouragement:)

krish75 said:
Thanks for the info guys...

Curt, it does look almost identical to your picture. I would say not as brown and fuzzy looking, but almost identical. Thanks...

Those sponges are very dirty with detritus. Their normal color is white to whitish/grey and you cannot normally see the fibers that you can see in this pic. It's clear here because the camera was in macro mode. Their hobbiest names are Qtip sponges or Pineapple sponges. Their populations will wax and wane over time. They are nice to have because they bind up silicates that would otherwise be available to diatoms.

Here's a white one in macro mode.

scypha_tb.jpg

Source: Melevsreef.com

Thanks for the info Curt! I think I may need a microscope to see it that good. 1/2 cm may be an exaggeration of their real size because they seem smaller than that. Thanks again for the help and info...

Gabby, what's next? Hopefully some a peppermint or coral bandit shrimp later tonight when it gets dark. I just got back from the rocks and found a peppermint shrimp and my friend dropped him and we were never able to find him. I may go tinight where they are easy to find...

LOL!!! darn it, i leave my RF home for a few hours and i am already missing threads shheesh krish, i can't keep up with ya

What is this?

These yellow sponge looking things started growing about a month ago. Never seen them until then.

James, they look cool (I love the color) and you look like you've got some really nice coraline growing in there. I think it is soon time for a full tank shot!

Hey Krish I have them too...mine are grey in color and change biege to light light brown. I started a thread a while back about these. Absolutely everyone said they were cool.

Back