What is a Australian Apple?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Earthgoddess

I went out last night to a restaurant called Herbal Essence in Spokane, Wa last night they had just moved a tank in with this creature one guy called it a Australian Apple it looked like tye dye with little fluffy puffs that came out of it on arms.. Who knows what it is and what it is called I have not been able to get info by using that name in a search please help thanks:razz:

The two species sold in the "trade" are Pseudocolochirus violaceaus (Indonesia) and Pseudocolochirus axiologus (Australian), both being quite sensitive and not recommended for even the most experienced hobbiest.

Personally I would highly recommend against anyone keeping them or at the very least in fishless systems. Not only for the reasons mentioned above about their death throws but also if you happen to get a female. I had the Indo variety and kept it quite happily for several years. Unfortunately too happy, it eventually spawned releasing it's eggs into the tank. It was shortly after lights out and I would never have known except I noticed a fish float by (note not swim by). Upon closer inspection, several fish where "floating" by. Turned on the lights only to witness all the fish either dead or dieing and the sea apple happily spawning eggs. I removed the sea apple immediately and siphoned any/all eggs found to no avail. The eggs are extremely toxic and the impellers in the exuipment ever so helpful in releasing those toxins. Fortunately fish was all that was lost but sad just the same.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks that could explain why his fish were not looking so well I guess that means I should not have one of them.
About Wa I was told it was a somewhat local forum WHY WERE ARE YOU FROM?

WaterDogs said:
Most of us, funny isn't it! :lol:

Isn't it funny that there are alot of us that aren't from Washington?

Back