What is a good set of powerheads for a 65 gal?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well 'K' it sounds as though you might have K4's or bigger, I have 2 K3's in my 75g (48x18x22) and they provide plenty of added current to my main system pump. I had to play around with them quite a bit not to blow my clams and frogspawn around to much. I have one pretty much blowing behind LR structure and the other intersecting main returns. If you do have K4's and BigBlue is willing to trade at least one of them that would be great.

Good luck, Todd

Ya, I have had to play around with mine a lot too, but I have had enough! I am hoping to trade with BigBlue and maybe that will solve my problem.

Those Korila's push a lot of water!!!

I hope the smaller one's work out in your tank a little better than those giants you had :D

Thanks again!

Ryan

Thanks Ryan the smaller ones are perfect! The sand is staying on the bottom of the tank were it belongs and the corals are liking this flow much better! :D

Kassie

I've had to re-position these power heads 3 times now... Trying to keep from kicking up the sand bed and trying to keep it from sucking air. The K4 is about 6" under water and is pulling air from the top of the water.

Thank you, thank you, thank you again. :)

I've had to re-position these power heads 3 times now... Trying to keep from kicking up the sand bed and trying to keep it from sucking air. The K4 is about 6" under water and is pulling air from the top of the water.

Thank you, thank you, thank you again. :)

:lol:, Yep that sounds like what I was going through! Glad its over!

Did you end up moving your spray bar too, or was the reduction in flow from power heads sufficient enough?

You also want to make sure that you have an "anti-siphon" hole drilled near your water line of your return pump to make sure you don't flood in case of a power outage.

^^^^ Sorry I was just thinking about that when you said you have a spray bar mounted to your return pump.

Last edited:
Did you end up moving your spray bar too, or was the reduction in flow from power heads sufficient enough?

You also want to make sure that you have an "anti-siphon" hole drilled near your water line of your return pump to make sure you don't flood in case of a power outage.

^^^^ Sorry I was just thinking about that when you said you have a spray bar mounted to your return pump.

Nope I didn't have to move the bar, my tank is clear! I have a one way valve installed for my return, is this sufficient or should I drill a hole?

I would drill a little hole right below the water line (about 1"). I had about an 1/8" hole on my last set-up and it worked out well.

Check valves are known to fail. They also cause unneeded backpressure on your pump which reduces flow and pump life.

I would drill a little hole right below the water line (about 1"). I had about an 1/8" hole on my last set-up and it worked out well.

Check valves are known to fail. They also cause unneeded backpressure on your pump which reduces flow and pump life.

Good to know, I will check it as soon as I get home!

Thanks again, Kassie

I have several 3's and several 2's in a 75 gallon and they provide great flow and not to much.

Back