What is growing in my sump?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hard to tell with them out of the water, but are they the small white pineapple shaped sponges? Thats what they kind of look like to me. Usually these small sponges will pop up in all sorts of strange spots.

Looks like pineapple sponges like stated earlier. I've got hundreds to thousands of them growing in my overflows and sump. Tried feeding one to my tang before but no takers :)

It seems strange that my sump is full but I see none in the main tank. Curious minds want to know

I don't have a single one in my main tank either, nor my refugium. Just the overflows and sump which are unlighted. Maybe that has something to do with where they like to grow.

Those sponges are completly harmless infact are benificial! they dont like high light this is why they grow in sumps and overflows. even if your sump has lights on it they grow in there because the pc lights (common lights for fuges) are much less light then halides or t5s.. also the sump is where all the nutirents gather in large matter. (no fish to eat it and consume the excess waste)

Matt

If they're pineapple sponges then they are not bad. I'm not quite sure what good they are, but they are definately not harming anything. I'll try and get a good up close pic of mine when my batteries recharge to give you a reference.

Hi Matt

Ren is about 5-6 ft and weighs in at about 22 lbs. I have had him fo 13 years, he was 6 week old when I got him..he is family :)

As far as the picts you posted, mine don't seem to have the hairs/tentacles that the picts have.

I'm not sure that they are Marc. Holygral said there there isnt any "hairs/tentacles" as the same does the pineapple sponges. Could be though, maybe just not getting a good look at them. Holygral, got any closer pictures of em in water?

Back