What is the best supplemental lighting for Halides?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

corrado007

I'm in the middle of switching over to metal halides from PCs on my mixed reef tank. It's time to decide what type of supplemental lighting to add. I'm going with two 250W 10k Reeflux halides and will need actinics of some sort to make the coral colors pop out. What suggestions do you all have on type and wattage needed for my 90gal supplemental lighting? I'm leaning toward 2xVHO around 110W each, does that sound about right or are there better options T-5, PC, etc...?
Thanks for any experience, ideas, or suggestions you have to offer!

I'm going with two 250W 10k Reeflux halides I'm leaning toward 2xVHO around 110W each
That what I have over my 120 and I like it. I see alot using T-5s with individual reflectors as the latest trend and IME would highly recommend staying away from PC actinics of any kind for supplementation.

I also run two super acetinics and two acetinic VHO's with my halides. I prefer to gaze at the tank especially at night without the flicker of the halides as I have alot of surface movement, so the VHO really lights up my 75 gallon and I run the halides during the midday for the sps benefit. I tried and did not care for PC lights.

That what I have over my 120 and I like it. I see alot using T-5s with individual reflectors as the latest trend and IME would highly recommend staying away from PC actinics of any kind for supplementation.
You have 220W of VHO with your halides, what bulbs do you use? You don't need reflectors with VHO right, they have internal reflectors don't they?
Hey, thanks for the reply and input by the way.
Justin

I also run two super acetinics and two acetinic VHO's with my halides. I prefer to gaze at the tank especially at night without the flicker of the halides as I have alot of surface movement, so the VHO really lights up my 75 gallon and I run the halides during the midday for the sps benefit. I tried and did not care for PC lights.
What is the difference between super actinic and actinic VHO? Aren't they both in the 420nm range? How many watts are your bulbs? Thanks.:)

Actually I have 440 W VHO and would say I supplement with two 150w Hqi 10000 halides as my VHO runs longer than my halides. I use 46 1/2 inch bulbs in my canopy. I get them thru Hellolights.com and yes they have internal reflectors. Would not hurt to add reflectors if you want, would only help the light get into the tank.

I just checked out those URI bulbs you're talking about and I really like the idea of 46 1/2" bulbs, that would fit perfect over my tank in the canopy. I guess that's the idea. Would you say that 2 of these for a total of 220W would be adequate actinic supplementation to make the color pop out in my corals? I'd likely run the actinics an hour before, during (8hr MH photoperiod), and an hour after the halides.

You have 220W of VHO with your halides, what bulbs do you use? You don't need reflectors with VHO right, they have internal reflectors don't they?
Hey, thanks for the reply and input by the way.
Justin

Those internal reflectors in the VHO bulbs are better than nothing, but not much. I would go with T-5's and good T-5 reflectors.

Those internal reflectors in the VHO bulbs are better than nothing, but not much. I would go with T-5's and good T-5 reflectors.

Would external reflectors benefit VHO bulbs in your opinion even though they have internal reflectors? Why do you prefer T-5s, do you like the colors they produce better or the efficiency?

Any other opinions on VHO in comparison to T-5 strictly for actinic supplementation, I'm not concerned about more PAR since 2x 250W halides should take care of that. I'm just looking for the best way to make the corals color pop and I've read that although T-5s cost less to run, run cooler, are smaller, and have more bulb options, VHOs make the corals fluoresce the best.
Thanks again for ANY input.

Cant comment on T5s but must say I am happy with my VHO setup. I also am going to be placing some polished metal in my hood soon. The internal reflectors do help but I agree that alot still comes thru and would be better reflected back down into the tank. Just running the full acetinic bulbs will really make the colors pop, but also is a bit dark looking. You might try one super acetinic and one full acetinic for a bit more white in your off halide times.

Would external reflectors benefit VHO bulbs in your opinion even though they have internal reflectors?

I am not aware of any reflectors made for VHO bulbs. Makeshift reflectors might help some, but a proper reflector needs to be the correct shape, and needs to have the bulbs mounted the correct distance from the reflector. Plus, those bulbs are so large, they would block a lot of the reflector.

T-5 bulbs are much smaller in diameter, and therefore block light coming from the reflector less.

My own system uses VHO's for supplementation. T-5's weren't readily available 8 years ago when I set the system up. Someday I will convert the VHO's over to T-5's. After a number of other upgrades ...

Well, I've spoken with the reps at marine depot and hellolights and both suggested that I go with VHO since I'm not worried about adding PAR and just want the best colors out of my corals. That's how I was leaning anyway so I'm going to order a set as soon as I decide on which vendor to go with. Thanks for all your input, I really appreciate it.

Sent you a PM Packer, thanks.:)

Personally, H.O. T5's are the way to go, with the reflectors they will crank out more light into the tank & help make your corals pop even better than VHO's. I used VHO's on my last tank & like them but I've seem what can be done with T5's, for the cost I think your only adding the reflectors over the VHO set-ups, It is well worth it IMO!

I've got to agree that HO T-5s are a better light for many reasons depending on what you're doing with them. They take about half the power to produce the same light as VHO, they run cooler, and have many color bulbs available. Since I'm not looking to add any more PAR to my tank (MH should take care of that) it came down to a matter of aesthetics. The appearance created by the two different types of lights is a bit different and some prefer the HO look and others the VHO. This is one topic that will be debated for some time. Perhaps as new bulbs selections are made for the T-5 one will do just what VHO super actinics do for those of us who like them and the debate will be over since T-5 are clearly superior in all other ways.

Thanks to everyone who participated in this discussion, it was quite helpful for me in my decision making process. By the way, I ended up going with an ARO 2x 46.5" super actinic 220W set-up from hellolights. Can't wait for them to arrive, my MH ballasts came today. My corals should be thanking me very soon.:)

Back