What is the quietest pump?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

coralgazer

I have a 36 gallon bowfront I just set up and have a 15 gallon sump 2 feet under it. I bought a Supreme Classic Mag-Drive 7 (700 gph max). The flow seems just right and the price was right (69.99). But it is just too loud, I am not happy with it. I am willing to pay more (within reason) for a comparable sized pump that is QUIET. Any suggestions? Did I just get a bum pump or do I need to upgrade to a better brand? What do you suggest?

Look into Eheim pumps. Always have gotten nothing, but great reviews. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out the Water Blaster pumps if your looking in that price range too. They have some nice features and a good warranty.

Good Luck!

Eheim are top...another quiet pump to look at is the sicce syncra 3.0 or Tunze 1073.040 pump(basically same pump). Less money than eheim and quiet too.

I just recently purchased a reeflo blowhole 1450, very strong pump and extremely quiet. Do a google search and find the youtube video for it. Plus it has a selectable 3 speed setting in case you don't want a lot of flow.

The mag 7 is a liitle strong for a 36g tank through that sump. You want a lot of circulation within the tank and that's what powerheads are for, but through the sump should be a turnover of around 3 -5 times per hour.

As a return pump, I wouldn't go with anything stronger than eheim 1250 for the eheim series.

Back