what is this black snail without a shell?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Damsel13

IMG_0024-01.jpg

what about a black stomatella? Those have tiny little shells though, like half the size of your pinky fingernail. I can't see well enough from the photo.

looks like a stomatella, but deb can you grab a better pic

I have balck ones too, but here is a different color:

Looks like a little Black Nudi to me. Could be the picture, but the shape isn't uniform enough to be a Stomie. IMO..

Last edited:
Agree with James, stomies have little abalone type white shells. Better pic would tell for sure. Most Nudies are OK, can be hard to keep fed.

i agree with the limpet it looks like a keyhole limpet. i havent seen them bother any corals before...........but keep an eye on it. also it could be a stomatella, black ones do have a black shell. however i believe that it is a limpet, a clearer pic will help.......

The link by chris and barb is EXACTLY WHAT THEY BOTH look like. Thank you all for the information. I see things like this and think oh no! oh my goodness crash or worse! Will we all die? Nobody ( the tank inhabitants) seem the least bit worried...I am the only one freaking out somewhat.
Thanks again.

they are really cool looking I just am not sure how big they will get and they are (2) definatley nocturnal.

Back