What is this Creature on my Deepwater Acro?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

apexi

Hi,

I've been keeping a mixed LPS/softies tank in a 180g up till now. This is my very first SPS frag that I picked up a week ago. It's a deepwater acro with blue tips. If anybody can give me a more specific name/species it would be much appreciated :lol:

I noticed on the end of a few polyps that there is some kind of tiny transparent fan that keeps popping in and out of the polyp. The fan moves around 360 degrees and actively pops in and out several times a second. It almost looks like some sort of filter feeder. I noticed several of these on different polyps.

Can anybody tell me what this is and if there is any cause for concern/remedy. Also although I placed the coral at the highest point on my LR for max. light, it's gotten a little browner and the blue tips are slightly lighter than at the LFS. If you look closely at the pic you'll also notice that there's some white showing at the base of the frag, it came like this from the LFS. Is this a normal part of the adjustment in change of environment or is this a sign that the deepwater acro isn't happy? Perhaps my lighting is not as good and hence the change in color?

I'm running three 250W 15k halides, four 96W actinics, and have tons of flow. Calcium 400ppm, Alk 8dhk, PH 8.25, Nitrates less than 5ppm, Temps 80-81F, Salinity 1.025. Setup includes protein skimmer in 40gallon basement sump, phosban reactor, activated carbon, RO/DI, temperature controller.

acro.jpg

They usually starve over time and are not a problem. Keep an eye on the tissue recession at the base and be sure to take quick action if it begins to advance. You can either cut it back or superglue over the recession line.

Regards,
Kevin

They usually starve over time and are not a problem. Keep an eye on the tissue recession at the base and be sure to take quick action if it begins to advance. You can either cut it back or superglue over the recession line.

Regards,
Kevin

Will the browning eventually revert back to white tissue and more deeper blue tips, or does my lighting suck? I'm hoping that it's just adjusting to the new environment and will perk up.

Back