what is this stuff?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

glidenonk2

ok, My tank has been up for a 1 month 6 days I went through a algae bloom about week one. No fish in the tank at the time just LR. I was adding food just to start cycle. I saw this stuff at the week one time period, and it went away after a few days everyone just told me it was a normal thing. Everything was going just sweet. I have had my water tested (will be buying salifert next week) at LFS and was told it was good. I added a 2 damsels (cause they can live through even my train wrecks) and a clean up crew. Then I bought a peppermint shrimp who I think is now part of the fireworms diet. and the brownish algae stuff is back...

It is just algae. it is improtant to have patience because your tank may take several months to cycle. In my opinion a tank is mature after over a year...
This is just a stage that is common in new tanks..

Matt

It's just more of the algae cycle. A clearer pic may help. Is it somewhat slimy? Could be Cyano Bacteria. If so, remove as much as you can manually by sucking it up. It should kinda come up in mats. Increasing the flow in the particular spot where it's growing the most will help a lot. Increased flow has been the best way I've found to get rid of Cyano.

OH I have plenty of patience I waited 16 years before setting a tank up reading everything I could about reef tanks it's just little things that you just find out in the process that freaks you out...

since salifert test come in different boxes instead of the jungle 5 strips (which Sid tells me are a waste of money) which major tests should I invest in? there are so many of them Alk,PH,CAl, yada yada.. and a 18 bucks or more a shot they cut down on the purchase of livestock , water ect. in a hurry. I may have read alot but not all of it sticks. Vince Flynn novels override some memory banks.

It was probly just because you started a bioload in there. I would just wait it out and see what happens continueing with your normal maintnence. I also agree with matt in that my tank is just now about 8 months old and finally stopped fluctuating in parameters.

Good luck :)

-augustus

Looks like a diatom bloom to me. It should pass without intervention. It comes and goes in my tank even after a year.

glidenonk2

My tanks been setup for about 2 months now and I'm getting the same thing. It comes and goes, then comes back and goes away again. Its not harming anything in my tank, plus it gives my cleaning crew something to do! I have a buddy thats had his tank for over 5 years now and he still gets some datom algae here and there..

I worried too, but in the end its nothing to worry about..

lol

lol trido you do get around huh?
this tank is brand spankin new it is going to cycle and that is what it is doing. why do you run the lights for 10 hours a day? do you have any corals? if it is just rock and fish there really isn't any need to run the lights for 10 hours a day at this point. also what kind of lighting do you have?
what kind of water are you using for top off and water changes?
keep the patience thing going, i wish i had it when i started!

Back