what is this thing

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

babygirley1

it is about the sive of a foot ball and really neat i caught it while fishing in centrla florida and would like to know what it is, how to feed it, how big it will get etc... please help i have been told that it may be a snail or a queen conch please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]

Thank You ShannonView attachment 8454

well i think the responsible thing would be to take it back where you got it and let it live out it's life there.

My guess is some type of Pleuroploca sp., like Pleuroploca gigantea (also listed as Triplofusus giganteus)or the horse conch (Trapezium Horse Conch). These can reach quite large sizes, about 24 inches. You said it was the size of a football? If it is one of these, they are predators and will require meaty/live foods, like snails and clams. I would keep it in a species tank.

right now i have it in a aquqrium with the river water (that it came from) but i dont know anything about brackish water creatures and very little about salt water creatures....i know that brackish water is a mix of salt and fresh water is it possiable that this thing can eventually live is fresh water or if i do salt water will it kill it???? taking a trip to the river every few days would suck any suggestions

You guys are all right but Nikki has it right on the money :) That is the only thing it can be, a Horse Conch

just wanted to say thank you for all your help. i found a slt water fish store near my town took it picts just to be sure it is a horse conch.and now i know how to care for it!!!! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP

Back