What is this

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

i have seen something like that happened before, but my memory sucks (a hamster has better memory than me :p) i don't remember what happened next :p...but i think the coral was fine......i'll look for the thread ...hopefully someone will be able to give you better advice dood :)

This is just IMO but rics and musrooms kind of act like anenomes and can put their foot down on whatever they like to just normally they are more fininky and take more time than an anemome to settle down.

Anenomes, espeically pesky anenomes, have no care in the world and I've seen them put there foot onto anything. I.E. Hair algae, bare coral, PSP, toadstools, etc...

But Salmonslayer saying it was hard bothers me. Both anenomes and rics would be soft. Very strange.........

I saw a thread on something like that a while back on rc. People had abnormal growths on some of their stony corals for no apparent reason. Just as quickly as it started it would go away. Reminds me of a coral tumor.

I saw a thread on something like that a while back on rc. People had abnormal growths on some of their stony corals for no apparent reason. Just as quickly as it started it would go away. Reminds me of a coral tumor.

that's the same thread i'm talking about :p :D .
it's not a ric or an anemone it's a part of the coral (in my own opinion ) just some weird grow.... i wouldn't go cutting it without knowing for sure first.
I'm still trying to look through so many pages from RC :p :lol: .... but hopefully Kevin or someone will Tell you more dood.

I cant get the dam thing off. Its hard as a rock. It will not close up. It stays just like you see it. No slime-nothing. I think I will just throw it away

If it really really bothers you Im sure you could dremel it off and the coral would grow some new tissue over that spot.

"that's the same thread i'm talking about."
Lol good so I don't look as crazy =p

If its hard like an SPS, and seems to be part of the coral, then I think it is an abnormal growth/tumor of some kind. When one portion of a colony grows rapidly, but keeps the normal cellular structures, then it is referred to as hyperplasia. Here is a quote from: The Silent Sentinels - the Demise of Tropical Coral Reefs

Hyperplasia (hypertrophy, gigantism, corallite distortion) is characterized by accelerated growth through a rapid increase in the number of cells (non-neoplastic proliferation), but otherwise retain their typical "normal" cellular structures (fig.4.18). Patterns of ridges and valleys (in brain corals) or circular polyps (star corals) in affected regions are pronounced (largely increased cell sizes), and protrude above the colony surface. Depending on the species, the raised spherical masses can project up to 4.5cm above the surface of the colony. Observations on Magnetic Island (GBR) found that 18-24% of populations of Platygyra pini and P.sinensis are affected.4.82a

In some cases it was found that polyp hypertrophy characterized by gall formation is the result of a parasite-induced proliferation within the tissues. These lesions for example on Madrepora spp. develop when the crustacean Petrarca madreporae, an obligate endoparasite of corals, invades a normal coral polyp as a larva and matures within the polyp. It results in the formation of an enlarged (hypertrophied) corallite with abnormal septae (see Chapter V). The scleractinian corals P.lobata, P.lutea, Manicina areolata, and Montastraea cavernosa can detect invasion by endolithic fungi and respond by surrounding the site of fungal penetration within a layer of thickened calcium carbonate produced by hypertrophied calicoblasts. Skeletal anomalies caused by tumors affect 16 Caribbean and 24 Indo-Pacific Scleractinian species, 1 Caribbean hydrozoan, and at least 5 species of Caribbean gorgonians.4.82b

Check out these links for Coral Neoplasms, and Coral Hyperplasms

This link also shows a different type of tumor on an Acro (scroll down for pic) AIMS Long-term monitoring of GBR

If you do cut it off, then cover the area in superglue gel, as if you were fragging. Hopefully, Anthony will have something to add.

i knew Nikki had links :D :p.

i believe in the thread that i'm talking about... it desapeared after sometime and some people that cut the coral, they said that it grew again :p and then dissapeared :p.

Thanks all for the imput. I will keep a eye on it for now. good Idea ( dremel ). Think I will cut it off and glue it. Could be a nice looking frag :eek: .
Sorry Jan :( . Mike was dead on. I was joking. Can't sneek nothing by him.

it can be a tumor and sometimes is a natural, albeit unusual looking, spur of growth. If you look at the pic of the Turbinaria in the first versio of my BOCP1, it has similar lumpy growths all around the edge of the coral. In time, they filled in quite normally.

Back