What is this?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MrSculpin

My live rock is starting to have "things" expand.
Its only been in my tank since Wed.

Two things Im wondering about. The white "blob" in the picture and also to the right, the tiny redish "flower" looking thing. What are they?
Also in the next pic, not sure if its clear. The yellow stuff?

White thing looks like a sponge....harmless, hard to tell what the red thing is. Have no idea about the yellow either.

The red thing looks like a polyp. Did this rock come from someone's tank?

The white and yellow look like sponges to me.

The red thing looks like a polyp. Did this rock come from someone's tank?

The white and yellow look like sponges to me.

I bought the rock from aquaticdreams. The red thing
has a base that reminds me of a mushroom. It closes up at night, and you dont see the red at all. I can take a better pic.

If its a polyp, what are they?

The yellow stuff is sometype of sponge. I have a lot of it down in my base rock for years now.... it's harmless. I'm not sure what the rest is.

I agree, white and yellow look like sponge. Great filter feeders that will help keep tank clean. Can't see the red thing clear enough, but I do seem to see some type of polyp on your rock. Giving you any type of scientific name would be pretty difficult without a better pic. Even with a clear pic, it'll be hard to narrow it down beyond Zoanthid or Paly. Not being able to see it clearly in the pic, I'll give you one word of warning...if it moves, get it out of there!! Doesn't look like it, but it's possible it's a Majano anemone. It'll be easier to tell with a clearer pic but I don't think it is.

returnofsid - you were thinking the same as I was about majano. Before I posted I looked at it and looked at it trying to decide between palythoa, zoanthid, or majano. I went for polyp instead :D.

If you can get a better picture of it when it is nice and open that would be grreat!

Im not sure if these pics are any better. My camera is a digital autofocus one, it seems to not do well with close ups.

I have a side view of the base that reminds me sort of a mushroom base and a front view.

It sort of closes in on itself at night and the red is completely gone. When it opens up all the way you see all the red "flower" like look. It has never moved from its spot.

Did a water test last night, tank has been running now a week!
temp is 78.6
1.024 salinity
Ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 2
ph is 8.2

What do I want to watch for in the tests?
how often does one normally test their water?

polyp

It seems to be growing a bit and doing well, whatever it
is! It closes up, sort of rolls in on itself when it gets
dark. Once "rolled up" it looks sort of like a green button.

I saw a brittle star fish out last night!

My yellow thing most think is a sponge is growing algae
looks like grass spikes actually.

Back