What is wrong with me xenia

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mike1441

I came home last night and my xenia was flat and lumped over and some of the polyps where coming off. All my other softies and sps, ……… are fine water quality is great. Any idea why?

Maybe you have become one of the many that just cant grow xenia no matter what you do. Some tanks just cant grow the stuff.

I had one that did that too, and but I had one other in the tank at the same time that looked fine. It looked nasty, totally deflated, wilted looking and the color was off. Turned out it was just splitting and part of it had moved up the rock it was on. Now I have a small one growing from the spot the original one was attached and the main branch that moved up to the top of the rock.

I am one of the manyu that had tank of DOOM for xenia. In my 125 it would just die, but now i have a little 24g nano and its groing like a weed. I can't kill it! Just keep doing what your doing it should be fine.

I had the same issue mine was flat thought it had died but started to regenerate about 4 weeks later and is growing at a good rate got 4 big pieces from one thought was dead pulse zenia :)

Iodine has been theorized to help Xenia, but in controlled studies, it's not been proven. I wouldn't suggest dosing iodine unless you're also testing for it. About 18 months ago, I had a large portion of my Xenia just simply melt away. All my test parameters were good...nothing in the tank had changed in months....there was no explanation. The xenia that survived in the same tank did just fine. Soon it was all over the tank again.

Iodine has been theorized to help Xenia, but in controlled studies, it's not been proven. I wouldn't suggest dosing iodine unless you're also testing for it. About 18 months ago, I had a large portion of my Xenia just simply melt away. All my test parameters were good...nothing in the tank had changed in months....there was no explanation. The xenia that survived in the same tank did just fine. Soon it was all over the tank again.

Mine grow like weeds and I have never used any iodine, I give them away to local reefers. Good flow is important. Did you have a power head fall or change flow directions?

well i had me Xenia for about 6 months, they split in separate area of the tank and they both reacted the same way which melting away also my organ pipe are not opening too. no new skimmer or fish or anything different

Back