What is your alkalinity and calcium levels?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Lone Wolf

If you have a reef tank, I am interested in where you keep your alkalinity and calcium levels. I just set up a new calcium reactor and trying to get it adjusted to the level I need for a 90 gal. You input is appreciated. Thanks.

In both of my reef tanks, I try to keep my alk at 10.0 dKH, Ca at 430-435 and Mg at 1350. I've been pretty successful at doing this in the 75. It's been a lil' more of a chore in the 46 because I've let it slack more...lol. Well, not really let it slack. It's just that I set up the 75 more recently and set it up as more of an SPS tank. Because of this, I started off supplementing Alk, Ca and Mg. It wasn't until this time that I also started supplementing the 46, which is an LPS and Softy tank.

I try to keep it at 9dkh, 420 calcium, 1300 magnesium. My corals quickly drag them down though. Right now I use kalk water and a two part but will soon be moving to a calcium reactor when I get my sump set up. The kalk + two part just isnt enough. The combination of the two puts an upper limit on how much I can dose before pushing my PH over 8.5.

IMO you should worry about alk. first and foremost when setting up a new reactor. Keeping a stable measurment around 10-12dkh and then dripping kalk or other supplements to bring calcium to proper levels if calcium levels are low. It seems that some people think a calcium reactor will give quick results, this is not the case. Dial drip and bubble count to conservative levels and make slow and small adjustments. Patience is the key. Just my 2 cents:)

I try to keep it at 9dkh, 420 calcium, 1300 magnesium. My corals quickly drag them down though. Right now I use kalk water and a two part but will soon be moving to a calcium reactor when I get my sump set up. The kalk + two part just isnt enough. The combination of the two puts an upper limit on how much I can dose before pushing my PH over 8.5.

Same here:D

SueT must be using Oceanic salt. I use Instant Ocean, so it's naturally very high in alkalinity and depressing low in calcium. I also use a reactor, and because the alk and calcium are so poorly mismatched, I tend to run my alk around 12-12.5 and calcium around 375ppm. I've started dosing calcium to bring things back into balance. I've also considered doing the Oceanic/IO mix. Magnesium tends to run around 1400ppm.

IMO you should worry about alk. first and foremost when setting up a new reactor. Keeping a stable measurment around 10-12dkh and then dripping kalk or other supplements to bring calcium to proper levels if calcium levels are low. It seems that some people think a calcium reactor will give quick results, this is not the case. Dial drip and bubble count to conservative levels and make slow and small adjustments. Patience is the key. Just my 2 cents:)

Kalk will bring ca and alk up and will not raise ca alone. This would require a additive like ca chloride alone.

Don

SueT must be using Oceanic salt. I use Instant Ocean, so it's naturally very high in alkalinity and depressing low in calcium. I also use a reactor, and because the alk and calcium are so poorly mismatched, I tend to run my alk around 12-12.5 and calcium around 375ppm. I've started dosing calcium to bring things back into balance. I've also considered doing the Oceanic/IO mix. Magnesium tends to run around 1400ppm.

I would avoid oceanic like the plague. Just add ca chloride to your new SW mix and your good to go and in balance. The ca reactor should keep you close otherwise without having to dose the tank to bring the poorly balance SW mix in line.

Don

Kalk will bring ca and alk up and will not raise ca alone. This would require a additive like ca chloride alone.

I have heard that ca chloride is not a good long term approach(IMO is great for quickly correcting low calcium levels). Also, in my experience kalk has never really done much to my alk levels. What are your thoughts Don?

I have heard that ca chloride is not a good long term approach(IMO is great for quickly correcting low calcium levels). Also, in my experience kalk has never really done much to my alk levels. What are your thoughts Don?

Kalk is more of a "balanced" ca and alk additive. There is nothing wrong with ca chloride. There are many that have never used anything else. Two part additives have been used for years with no ill effect.
But I will add that water changes are really the best to keep everything fresh.

Don

I'm interested in your reasoning on this one. I've avoided it this long because something about Oceanic salt makes me feel uncomfortable, but I can't pin it.

Most us tried it when it first came out, was pretty much a flop. Very high ca and crazy high mg causes all sorts of equipment failures. It makes great algae fuel and will grow cyano like nothing else.:)

Don

I thought the alk level was suppossed to be at 8.0 dkh. The instuctions on the salifert test says natural saltwater is 8 dkh. Are there any negative problems with keeping tha alk at 10 to 12 dkh?

If you keep fast growing stony corals, shooting for 10-12dkh will encourage the fastest growth rate. As for NSW levels being lower........I don't know? I think of it as sort of like a fertilizer that won't fertilize your algae:)

If you keep fast growing stony corals, shooting for 10-12dkh will encourage the fastest growth rate. As for NSW levels being lower........I don't know? I think of it as sort of like a fertilizer that won't fertilize your algae:)

Well that's good to know. Mine has been getting up around 9.3 dkh and I panic a bit, trying to get it back to 8.0. Thx.

Back