what kind of algae to grow in refugium?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mhgelb

Why do people grow chaeto or caluerpa in their refugium? Cause it is easy to harvest and it consumes nutrients to starve out unwanted hair algae.
I have seen the alternative of using an algae matt, like a piece of plastic webbing sheet (like 7 mesh) to grow large amounts of hair algae, this is really easy to harvest, just remove the sheet, wash off the algae and put in a clean sheet. Also maybe this hair algae grows faster than the macros. So why don't most folks go this way? Maybe because one does not want any hair algae in the refugium since it can spread to the DT but every DT on the planet has a finite amount of hair algae and it is virtually impossible to have a tank with zero hair algae. Also one oftens buys a starter chunk of macro to seed their refugium but hair algae is free. Some folks like to feed caluerpa to their tanks, for those that don't care about that, why do we use caluerpa instead of algae matts? Thanks.

Yeh I saw that thread and thought it was a good idea. I suppose the best plan is to try it along with the macros and see who out competes who and go with the winner or with both if there is a tie.

Most people us chateo because it dosn't go sexual and dump the nutreints it has collected back into the water. I have chateo and mexicana in my refuge, and long blade calurpa in the display tank.

I put a light over my fuge on an alternate photoperiod from the tank and let algae grow in there on its own and every week I'd vacuum it out and let it grow back. Worked great. Eventually though as my tank balanced out, nothing grew down there so I removed the light altogether. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back