What kind of blenny is this?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jan

and I have no picture....

I bought an "eyelash" blenny from the LFS. This fish has a white background with dark grey markings. From looking at pictures he looks similar to

S. fasciatus
P. gattorugine
P. marmoreus

(one of those is the lawnmower blenny, one is seaweed blenny and one is toppot blenny or something).

However, his behavior.... He seems to want to eat meaty foods and pods all the time, and is much less interested in algae. I haven't seen him munching on any rock algae for that matter. He spends his days stirring the sandbed with his tail looking for pods, digging under my rock structure looking for pods, and moving large pepples around--he carries them in his mouth a ways and then spits them out. He is basically reaquascaping my entire sandbed.

Does this sound like the behavior of a lawnmower blenny to you?? I hope he doesn't create a rock slide....

does he have a near unhinging mouth which opens up like this ( ) with bristles?

Does he have any redish to him at all, like Exallias brevis. "leopard blennie"

at the store i used to work, we got a lot of random/$20cheap blennies that could be described as white with dark markings or vice versa. you gotta put up a picture. You'll see blennies at different stores that are considerably different marked/colored with oranges/blues/purples all over them and their all called "lawnmowers", so it's tough.

generally, blennies are kinda nasty(like watchmen gobies of similar size, but blennies do bite often), you'll even read horror stories of lawnmowers attacking other fish. I got a pretty lawnmower and lucked out with a nicer/passive one, as i did have a smaller tailspot blennie in with him that punked him out alot til the tailspot jumped ship.

if you have a fish that moves rock, he'll continue to do so.

Sounds like my dragon goby. I didn't realize he swam so much. Doesn't hang on the bottom at all. Hovers and moves sand around all day!! He does a great job but now I have huge sand mounds everywhere and sometimes my tank looks like a freakin snow globe, lol.

does he have a near unhinging mouth which opens up like this ( ) with bristles?

Nope.

Does he have any redish to him at all

His eyelids are orange-ish but that's all.

He's actually a base color of dark grey like my HP mouse, with stripes of light grey (wide stripes like the lawnmower blenny has). But he's definitely dark gunmetal grey with lighter greyish/white accents, and light grey "eyelashes," as opposed to the being light with darker grey accents. He's the reverse of the lawnmower. This just goes to show you how fallible human memory is...especially mine. :rolleyes:

Snow, your best GIF?

Attachments

• worthless without pics.gif
    worthless without pics.gif
    9.5 KB
lol...:lol: consider that I am saving everyone from being subjected to my terrible photography. :p

I am fairly convinced that this guy I have is a "seaweed blenny" which come in quite a lot of color variations. Otherwise known as eyelash blenny, the even more generic term. He's a geek fish, but he goes with the geek dogs and cats that live in this house.

Back