What kind of coral can I keep?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

R.Kowalski

I have a 40 gallon with 2-96 watt compact fluorescent bulbs(1 -actinic and 1 10,000 day bulb). The tank also has a seaclone 100 protein skimmer,live rock,penguin 33 filter and an additional 230 gph power head.

I haven't kept any coral before and was wondering what type would be suitable for growing under my conditions. The nitrate and nitrite read none the ph is just under 8.4,the salinity runs between 1.020-1.025. And what additives would I need for supplements for the coral? What kinds of coral could I keep? :confused:

Well good starter corals are green star polyops, blue ridge coral, colt coral, xenia is worth a try, some tanks it likes some it doesnt. leathers are cool, mushrooms, ricordia all seem to do well under that much light. Hope this helps somewhat. Steve

Hmmm... before you buy any livestock, please buy and read at least one good book on coral keeping/husbandry my friend!

The small investment in time and and money will; save you many hundreds of dollars and more importantly save creatures lives.

Seek Eric Borneman's Aquarium Corals

And besides fine content sites like RF here (be sure to use the search too, archives, etc... tremendous resources here!)... there are also some other great free content websites like wetwebmedia.com to use in your information gather process.

kindly, Anthony

Back