What kind of coral is this?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

TheNobleSavage

Arctipod
Ok, I bought this coral about 2 months ago and the guys at the LFS had a very difficult time trying to figure out exactly what it is and what to charge me. Regardless I got it for around 35.00 USD. They said it was an Asterapora? My memory is horrible!!! The polyps do not come out during the daytime but comes out at night time along with my Sun Coral. The polyps are very small and with the moon lights on when the MH are off, the coral glows a bright green. It is about the size of a tennis ball. I feed it a combination of Rods food, oyster eggs, rotifers, arcticpods and zooplankton. My usual sps diets. I feed my LPS more meaty foods but I feed this one the same time as I do with my SPS. My Sun Coral is a different story, I feed him when I get up in the morning since he is fully extended before the lights turn on.

When I feed sps, I shut off all my powerheads and pumps and use a turkey baster, my wife was pissed!!! Oh well!!

So my main question is, I have him on the ground level and away from other corals. Is this a good place to put it at and what are the best reqyuirements for keeping this coral. Is it a SPS or LPS? This is my mystery coral. I call him "Moonbaby"!!!

Your Help would be appreciated!!!

Any Idea on how or where I should put this coral at or leave it there? It is a nice center piece. Like I said, it only eats at night. The polyps only extend when moon lights are on. They usually come out about 30 to 45 minutes after the MH lighting turns off.

TNS

Incase I didnt give you my tank parmeters,

29 Nano Cube
CPR3 Skimmer
4 Korila Nano powerheads in strategic locations
78F
SG 1.025
Salt, Tropic Marin
250 Watt MH 20K Ushio HQI 10 inches from water line
Phosphate reactor
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0
Phosphates 0-.01
Calcium 480
DKH 9
Magnesium 1400
PH 8.2

As an aside, I had great (no doubt beginners) luck "training" my sun coral to eat with the other coral before lights out. I just kept teasing it by putting a little food on top of it with a dropper while feeding the other coral. After a few days it started opening two hours before lights out, my normal feeding schedule.

Mine seems to love to eat, thats for sure. Just turn the pumps off and then squeese a some oyster eggs, baby brine and zooplankton. Then they will flower, then I will offer the sun corals some Mysis Shrimp and larger brine and they will eat em up. As for the Mystery Coral, I use much smaller food such as zooplankton, phytoplankton, oyster eggs and arctipods. That is what I generally feed my sps corals and some of my LPS. My larger LPS will eat some mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, rods food and squid. The fish, 2 clowns, they love flake and rarely eat anything else. So I soak it in some garlic and they go nutz!!!

Oh... and placement. Forgot about that part of your question! If it *is* Astreopora, I *think* it's going to want fairly good light and good flow.

Back