what kind of glue should i can i use?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

marlinmero

Marlin
i have a couple free floating mushrooms a green ricordia and then a couple pieces of this other guy (looks like a tree kind of and its soft. its spreading like crazy) floating around my tank and i want to mount them to a rock. but im not sure how and what kind of glue to use. i was told gorilla glue works good or any other kind of gel based glue would work. just that stuff smells toxic and potent so im nervous to do that with out first consulting sum more people. so any info would be great thanks

i would never use gorilla glue... that stuff foams and expands and take a long time to set. Your best bet would be super glue gel, Or ICE gel they sell at reef stores, glue it to a piece of rock and put in a bowl so the flow doesnt blow it away.

great thank you, i wasnt sure about useing normal glue from a hardware store cause of its toxic smell you know. thank you for the information ill give it a try. and also how do you probagate corals and lps? do you just cut a chunk off and glue it to a rock?

Last edited:
best of luck the trouble with softies they excrete a slime which makes mounting on a rock a little more difficult and temperamental. There are a few other tricks to attaching and im sure other peeps will give you more input.

gloves: like doctors and normal dishwasher gloves usually have that white powdery substance lined on the inside and besides you want gloves that cover as much surface area of your hands and forearm as possible. im sure its possible but i dont use them for that reason and doctor gloves rip quite easily. Just go local saltwater fish shop they sell reef gloves for like 5+ and up pretty cheap and why risk it.

Last edited:
Take the free floating polyps, place them in a tupperware container with some LR rubble and GENTLY place it in the bottom of the aquarium in a super low flow area. They will attach themselves in a few days and can then be glued to bigger rocks with super glue gel or ICE gel as stated earlier.

For the mushroom, you can place them in a glass in low flow with a rock piece at the bottom and give it a week or so they will attach them self. I put mine in the sump. that is where I have less flow. super glue Just go get it from a( dollar store). or Ice gel. as others have posted
My husband and I don't use gloves unless we are fraging. Mushroom as far as I know don't sting and if the do it doesn't hurt. With everything I have in my tank I have never been stung

Last edited:
well i whent to ace and got the super glue gel. the mushroom has been sucked into the filter but the wierd lil soft tree things i got glued to rock and the green ricordia. its was pretty simple once i got use to cleaner shrimp crawling all over me and then my clown fish attacking me.. but i got. thanks for the info everybody

Back