what kind of pump can i use

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

trillyen

what???
Ok my red sea pump for my berlin turbo skimmer took a crap on me and i dont have the 70 bucks to go buy a new one as of the moment but i do have 2 sen 500 gph pumps laying around that are return pumps and i tried hookin one up but it dosent make wenough bubbles to create skimmate

i even put a airline in it and all it just dosent seem to be powerful enough

i wish i knew what the berlin red sea pump was rated at it dosent say on the pump or nothing and i bought it used so i have no way of knowing

is there any way i can create more bubbles with my 500 gph pump or anything

or anything cheap i can do for the momment

i tried soaking my red sea pump in vinegar and all and it still wont work

thanks ahead of time!!!

The skimmer pumps usually had a needle wheel impeller, the regular water pumps have blades made to move water, big difference.
keep checking the selling forum to see if someone is selling a pump that would work.

Better yet, keep looking for an affordable better skimmer like a needle wheel octopus of similar. Trust me, the Red Sea is pure crap. I have thrown three away. One I bought, two were free to any taker. Used them as converted canisters. Best to NOT put any more money into that hole.

nks for the help

but I swear to god I'm so tired of hearing that Berlin skimmers are crap mine worked great I mean if it was crap I wouldnt ne trying to keep it going

I guess I'll just have to get another red sea pump

thanks for the comments

nks for the help

but I swear to god I'm so tired of hearing that Berlin skimmers are crap mine worked great I mean if it was crap I wouldnt ne trying to keep it going

I guess I'll just have to get another red sea pump

thanks for the comments

Me thinks you haven't seen what a real skimmer is supposed to do.

Turbo aspirator
NEW high performance pinwheel impeller
Increased quantity of superfine air bubbles in homogenous air-water mixture
Max. water throughtput: 900 lph / 225 gph
Max. air throughtput: 300 lph / 75 gph

I ran one for a while with a Gen-x 2400 needle wheel pump. The problem with the skimmer is the venturi for air induction. The stock one on the Gen-x pumps is garbage. When I added a Kent Marine Turbo Venturi valve the Berlin skimmer came to life.

IMO everyone calls the Berlin skimmers crap because they are way overrated in system capacity and cost as much or more than other skimmers with realistic capacity ratings ( ie. ASM G-2 )

Back