What kind of shrimp goby

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

steven11

Somethingotherthannormal!
I have a new Michaels pistol shrimp. I got a decorater goby to go with him but he jumped:mad: Any recomendations on a goby that is less likely to jump and would go will with my pistol. I am thinking of a yellow watchman. Any thoughts! Thanks.

I'm going to tag along on this one. I'm looking into the yellow watchman too. I have a blue-devil damsel though, don't know if their compatable.

Last edited:
I think most gobies if they are picked on or stressed will jump

JR

Ditto on that one. I had a snowflake eel that was stressing out my goby, woke up the next morning with him on the floor. This was on a tight top too. There was a hole just about the size of the goby where the return came through the top of the tank. Who knows how long he was trying before he actually nailed the jump, lol.

If it was me I would choose the yasha too. But I like the spottail shrimp goby (amblyeleotris latifasciata) and the yano shrimp goby (amblyeleotris yanoi) too. Trying to locate one seems to be the greater task because I haven't seen one of these at my LFS:confused: But I think that any one you choose if it is getting picked on they will jump out. So I would try to find out who the trouble maker is and fix that problem so it don't happen agian. I had the same problem a few months back and had to get rid of my coral beauty because he was a punk.:mad:

Here is a list of the live stock that i have. I havent seen anyone being agressive:

Two percs
Sailfin tang
six line wrasse
3 green chromis
1 cleaner shrimp
1 sally lightfoot
1 target mandarin
and a michaels pistol

I dont have any idea of who would be the aggressor in the tank because i have never seen anything to be suspect of.

Here is a list of the live stock that i have. I havent seen anyone being agressive:

1 sally lightfoot

I dont have any idea of who would be the aggressor in the tank because i have never seen anything to be suspect of.

you should have extra careful with this litle @#~€ . they are oportunistic feeders and they grow quite large. just my thouhgts:)

Becareful! how long has your six-line wrasse been around? they can get a little pushy towards new small fish additions , like a small goby. The wrasse would probably give him a good smack or two.. or more=/

reviving this old thread...

do shrimp gobies only pair up with pistol shrimps? If not, what other kind of shrimp/goby pairings exist in nature?

do shrimp gobies only pair up with pistol shrimps? If not, what other kind of shrimp/goby pairings exist in nature?

I've heard of two people's Helfrichi Firefish pairing up with a Pistol.

steven11,
I had an Orange Spot Goby (amblyeteotris guttata) that was paired with a Pistol Shrimp in KevinPo's shop (Aquatic Dreams). It jumped the night I added it. I didn't see the Pistol for about 2 weeks until I noticed a burrow. I went over and bought a Yellow Watchman Goby and the same night I added it it paired with my Pistol Shrimp. They're great buddies now, and lots of fun to watch. When they get scared the Watchman snaps back into his hole like it was never there. The Pistol is even quicker.

Because I'm a Pic Whore, I will now post the following.
p1020530gf8.jpg

Tiger Pistol and Yellow Watchman
p1020509eh9.jpg

Back