What kind of superglue do I get???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I second the Loc-Tite glue gel. It has worked better for me than any other glue I have used and I think I'e used them all. It is quick to work.

I just get gel superglue off brands at the Dollar Tree store or Big lots and it works just fine. Save a bunch of money. Just make sure you get the gel.

Never used the "zap-gel" or "loctite", but have used barrier reefs glue and LOVE it.

Since you are in washington, seems logical to just go buy it. You can even have them show you how the glue works before you buy it, great staff.

What ever you end up getting, good luck :)

-augustus

Are there any types/brands of glue that are no-no's. Ive never glued my frags in place for fear of putting chemicals into my water. Is the key to make sure it is dry before putting the piece back into the tank or is the glue just non-toxic to the inhabitants?

Are there any types/brands of glue that are no-no's. Ive never glued my frags in place for fear of putting chemicals into my water. Is the key to make sure it is dry before putting the piece back into the tank or is the glue just non-toxic to the inhabitants?

I would say anything that is not a gel is a no no - the non gel form is too difficult to work with and gets everywhere.

the cyanocraylate tip that charlie gave above is a good one. Just make sure it has that as it's main ingredient.

I'll third the loctite gel that comes in the blue & grey containers that has already been mentioned. It shoudl be redily available at any hardware store or home depot or lowes.

The glue in the water doesn't hurt a thing.
At first I feared it too. Then you just do it to prove to yourself it is "OK"

But there is a trick to a good glue job. Have some one show you and you will see what I mean.

Yeah I have used super glue before and there hasnt ever been a problem....I just couldnt remember the cyano acrilate as the main ingredient...thanks yall.

I used to be a Loc-tite fan.......until i found Jurassic Gel by Paleo Bond.

I wish i would have known about it before i ended up spending countless dollars on countless silly little .4 oz things of loctite.

The jurassic gel is way thicker and the end result is a much stronger bond. it i think is primarily used for people in museums putting things like fossils together.

You can get it in a 200 gram tube for $35-40....which the equivelant in Loc-tite costs per gram would be a fortune.

note: I DO still keep a few tubes of the loctite around as the thin applicator needle is super sweet for some more precise applications. But for dropping a glob of glue down the Jurassic Gel is the stuff :)

I used to be a Loc-tite fan.......until i found Jurassic Gel by Paleo Bond.

I wish i would have known about it before i ended up spending countless dollars on countless silly little .4 oz things of loctite.

The jurassic gel is way thicker and the end result is a much stronger bond. it i think is primarily used for people in museums putting things like fossils together.

You can get it in a 200 gram tube for $35-40....which the equivelant in Loc-tite costs per gram would be a fortune.

Interesting.. I tried researching the "ingredients" of this but couldn't find anything. On the container that you have at home, does it list out what it is made of? if yes, could you post on forum to share w/ us please. I just spent $30 yesterday buying 10 more tubes of the loctite... arghhh.

Interesting.. I tried researching the "ingredients" of this but couldn't find anything. On the container that you have at home, does it list out what it is made of? if yes, could you post on forum to share w/ us please. I just spent $30 yesterday buying 10 more tubes of the loctite... arghhh.

http://www.bhigr.com/store/product.php?productid=279&cat=51&page=2

here is the product.........

the msds on it is underneath the label......i just tried to take it off to read and the msds didnt cooperate as it was one with the label.......lol

I assume its a cyano acrylite base like most things.........and becomes inert as soon as it hits the water regardless of its its fully cured by that time or not.........

I use a ton of glue both in my tanks and when i frag send ship stuff......i promise its safe :)

Back