What kind of tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Saltyfish

Banned
I am back to my design stage of my 630 gallon tank and after setting up my 300 gallon tank it raised some issues. I thought I would ask the people what they think about types of tanks.

So my question is if you could build a 600+ Gallon display tank what would you have it built out of and WHY?

just to give you some back ground on what I am looking for:

Examples
I have a 300 gallon Acrylic tank and I like the size but if I could do it over again I would have gone with glass because....

I have a 500 gallon glass tank and if I could do it all over again I would have gone smaller because.....

I have a large tank and I used a closed loop I wish I would have used power heads because ......

I have a 30" high tank, if I could do it all over again I would because ......

I am just trying to get a feel on how I should set this next one up. I am seriously thinking of going to glass and selling the acrylic one.

I like the shallower tanks cause it's easier to reach and the lights can be 250w MH instead of 400's
(I have little arms so reaching the bottom of my 20" tall tank is a bugger.)
Also If I had to do it all over again I would get Starfire glass and not acrylic (doesn't scratch as easy)
Closed loop is much prettier (no wires and pumps in the tank)

I like the shallower tanks cause it's easier to reach and the lights can be 250w MH instead of 400's
(I have little arms so reaching the bottom of my 20" tall tank is a bugger.)
Also If I had to do it all over again I would get Starfire glass and not acrylic (doesn't scratch as easy)
Closed loop is much prettier (no wires and pumps in the tank)

I would have to agree (me also having shorter arm's).... I had a 225 that was 30" tall and it WAS impossible for me to reach the bottom with my hand. Glass for sure. And I will do a island or penisula take the next time.

Thanks,

-augustus

Honestly. I was looking at building a 600 gallon the exact same dimensions as yours. However I was going to go 30" tall and not 31.5". 30" tall tanks look amazing to me compared to a 24” or 20”. It all depends on how easy you want maintenance. Also with that kind of length, 96", anything shorter might look odd.

I would have it built out of acrylic. Yes acrylic scratches. So does glass. I have seen some nasty scratched up glass tanks. At least acrylic is polish-able. Also I am not sold on silicon holding back thousands of pounds of water, rock, sand, etc..

I was thinking about putting in a coast to coast along the 4 foot side of my tank and using it as a room divider.

I like power heads. I have used both but power heads offer the most versatility. Especially with Tunze's!

Thanks Erik

I would have to agree (me also having shorter arm's).... I had a 225 that was 30" tall and it WAS impossible for me to reach the bottom with my hand. Glass for sure. And I will do a island or penisula take the next time.

Thanks,

-augustus
Yes the tall tanks kill us vertically challenged people.LOL

However I was going to go 30" tall and not 31.5

I was thinking about putting in a coast to coast along the 4 foot side of my tank and using it as a room divider.

the 31.5 was not my idea, it was actually built for another customer that backed out so he offered it to me.

I did the coast to coast on my 300 gallon to use it as a room divider, I like it but I am limited on the size of pipes for the closed loop if I ever put one in.

These are my thoughts and why I was even asking these questions.

I think I would like a glass tank. Only because it is harder to scratch and easier to clean.

I love the height of the 300 (30") but I hate it when I have to reach into the bottom or try and clean the bottom.

Since I cant set up my 630 gallon until the wife finds or builds a new house (I vote forn building so we can get what we both want) I have plenty of time to play around and come up with ideas.

Everything you guys are saying it helpful and the same things going through my head.

Please keep them coming....

I think the main thing as far a closed loop system I would consider is what to use to randomize the flow. Like the ocean motions stuff looks really sweet but I would imagine it takes a lot of consideration to give yourself the plumbing options.

As much as i love glass, almost all of my tanks at one time or another have incurred a scratch and it's annoyed me horribly, and it's also pretty much permanent. I think i would like to try a larger acrylic tank, I would be extra careful to avoid scratches but in the case that they happen it's possible for me to buff them out at least, and the extra clarity doesn't hurt either :)

Back