what kind of water

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

RODI stands for "Reverse Osmosis De-Ionized" water purification system. This is a great water filter system and will prevent many pitfalls down the road such as algae problems. However, I see you live in the Seattle area and our water here has much less dissolved solids than most of the country. Many people use tap water and a good conditioner or you can also buy RODI water from many fish stores in the area. If you plan on having a reef tank as opposed to a fish only tank RODI would be a good idea but not a necessity. Welcome to RF and the hobby with only grey answers. Good Luck!

LOL! That's where my Wife went to school... And not only do you live next to Shaun, (Reefreak) but also close to Gaby. (SpongeBobLover) And if you still think that you've got it bad, I live in Granite Falls.

Being a NEWB, you should come checkout PSAS (Puget Sound Aquarium Society) Look for us in the clubs forums!

Last edited:
Just FYI, you can also buy RODI water at most grocery stores(safeway, fred meyers). Those giant machines with a penguin on them, that dispense it by the gallon for roughly 30-50 cents per gal. I just drag in a few 5gal camping water jugs and fill em up. I'm not sure about the other companies, but the ones with the big black penguin on the front(can't for the life of me remember the brand name, maybe Glacier?) states that it is RODI, as well as carbon filtered, ozonated and micro filtered. Or maybe its all the same thing as Reverse-Osmosis and deionization? lol

Yo could even use Distilled which is as good if not better If you can find it in your grocery.

Back