what next

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Chopsie

hello just wondering what to put in my tank next?.tanks been setup for 3weeks and i got 2 chocolate clownfish, i want to buy something for my tank what would be a good next step fish,shrimp,hermit crab or doe,s the tank need to establish a little more? i would like something to swim at the lower levels and like to swim amongst the rock. thanks :)

Well, it would all depend on what your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are at now. Have you tested them lately?:)

hello nitrates between 2 - 5 nitrites 0 ammonia 0 done a water change monday of this week. tested water thursday. thanks:)

Cool! 5ppm is not that bad at all! I'd hold off on any corals for now though (if you planned on them) to give the tank some more time to mature and balance out as well as time to see if you can get the remainder of the nitrates to drop off as corals are really sensitive to them, but where fish or inverts are concerned, you should be fine. They say inverts are sensitive to nitrates as well, but I've personally kept a coral bandit shrimp and some snails in 5-10 ppm of nitrates and they did well. If you go for any inverts though, you'll have to make sure that there is sufficient food in the tank for them to thrive on unless you plan on specifically feeding them. Where any other fish is concerned, you may want to try a goby. They are small, love the sand (which I see you have on your other thread) and spend their time in the lower levels of the tank. Just a thought...:)

Appears you are off to a good start. Don't you also have a soft coral hitchhiker in there? They are not real happy with nitrates. If adding anything at this point, would recommend hardy cleaners such as little hermits. They will help clean up from feeding the clowns while the tank continues to cycle further.

hello

jus got myself 2 blue hermits & 1 red hermit. and a yellow tang i,v been told that the tang will like the algae aswell?:)

that is alot of fish to add so early....the tanks normally need a bit of time to be able to handle a large bioload and stabilize... how big is the tank??? the tang will eat algae, but it also needs nori and other herbivore foods..vitamins and hufa's would also benefit the tang..try soaking some dried seaweed in Zoe and Zoecon

Back