What paint for glass tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Handegard

Two is better!
So, I had a brian fart, and purchased the same kind of paint I used on my last acrylic tank, and so far not so good. We rolled it on with a foam roller, and after the second layer, it's as if the "sheet" of paint is sliding downward, and some cracks/clear spots are appearing at the top...

What should I use to paint a background on glass? We're going with A dark purple.....

We just used the regulary krylon spray paint on my 90 gallon All-glass. Scott did several light coats letting it dry well in between. There was no chipping, flecking or sliding down the back :)

Sounds to me like you used interior latex house paint on your tank. It will work but you have to let it dry thouroughly between coats and coat it three times to get it thick enough to cover the alligatoring and not see through it. It will dry extremely hard and will not come off easily when its fully cured.

I also used rattle can, hardware store spray paint without any issues. My current tank is used, and the previous owner painted it with roll-on home interior latex. My guess is that the key, as mentioned above, is letting it dry between light coats.

Thanks guys.

I figured gravity had something to do with the sliding paint, so we layed it on the ground face down, and did a few more coats over the coarse of the night, seems to be working great.

And yeah, it was latex paint. The can said "wood, plastic, and more!" ;)

Back