what paint for inside of stand?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

reedman

OK folks...time for some more advice

I am building my stand for a new tank and I want to paint/seal it so that when I splash water from the sump it doesn't damage the wood. I have read a little about the marine epoxies available at the boat shops, but I am completely unfamiliar with them. I used to work with gel coat but not sure that would be appropriate. I plan to calk the seams and then paint the entire inside to "seal" it. I don't expect it to be water proof, but rather water resistant. I want white so I can see when I have a light on under there. Any advice you can give would be great.

Thanks,
-Reed

Hey Reed,

I looked into the Epoxy paints myself but they were $$$. I caulked all the seams and painted my stand with two coats of High grade exterior paint. I figured if the paint can stand up to years of Northwest outdoor weather it can hold up to an occasional splash..

Btw: I did see some garage floor paint that could have made for a less expensive form of Epoxy paint..

Interested in other folks thoughts/experience.

Last edited:
what about the truck bed liner from Rhino? They can spray it on just about anything. It is a pretty good barrier for metal stands too. I was going to use it on my sump stand and ended up painting...wish I would have used the rhino liner because it is tough stuff.

Bob, That would be great for a metal stand. I wanted something bright white so I can see under the stand. perhaps they do that with the Rhino liner as well, but in the end I think I will just use exterior house paint....like john says above....if it will hold up to the rain here in Seattle, then the water in the stand shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for all the inputs guys....much appreciated.

Benjamin moore has a two part epoxy paint that is food grade, the entire inside of my tank is painted with the stuff :)

Back