What size CO2 tank do I need

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Kensn

Getting a K2R reactor. What size CO2 tank would be best for my 90 gallon that is not a heavily stocked with SPS. I was hoping a 5lb tank would do since it will fit nicely in the space I will have left in the cabinet. I realize I might have to fill a little more often.

Thanks for the help.

Ken

Last edited:
a 5 lb tank works just fine - i have to fill mine about once a year and it costs me about 9.00 to fill it.

i have a heavily stocked 55 gallon SPS tank running a Sharaun Jetstream 1 Calcium reactor.

Thanks Matt, I was hoping a 5lb would be good enough. It is just the right size to fit in my cramped cabinet.

In another thread it was said I would have to get a new cylinder inspected, does anyone know about this?

Thanks again,

Ken

A new cylinder is already inspected so you shouldn't have to. At least I didn't when I bought mine and had it filled. I think it's every 5 years you have to have your tank inspected. A lot of places that fill tanks don't really refill your tank but they just trade it out so you always have an inspected tank. So if you are attached to your new tank you'll have to find a place that refills tanks and doesn't just trade them out. I found one in W. Seattle that refills them.

Good info Matt, I really like the idea of owning my own tank. I hope to find someone in the south end that will fill them. If not I'll be asking you for the name of the firm you use.

Ken

matt's advice is right on. 5 lbs should be more than plenty and they are very cheap to refill. Be aware however that when you go to "refill" the tank, they actually swap it out for another one. If you fall in love with your spotless, shiny silver cylinder, you may swap it out for a bumped, bruised and not-so-shiny "refill"

Well I was hoping to find a place in the South end like Matt's that will actualy refill my cylinder.

Ken

Back