What size do you think is best???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mojoreef said:
I got to agree with Sherman....

I'm sorry. You can't. It's a copyright violation.

lizardarm said:
i can't myself imagine having any real use for more than about 26" depth (that's just me) and about 18" seems to be just about bordering on too shallow.

I would agree...err...uhh.. like to offer that this is a good opinion. :)

I mentioned 26" depth, only because I'd like something to take up vertical wall space along with horizontal. All the way down to 18" sure makes for a short window to look into. My current tank is only 38g (36Wx12Dx20T). The 20T is alright, but on a longer tank, I think it would look like a thin slice of a window.

A friend has a 380g (roughly 6x4x2) in wall. The 4 foot depth creates a real challenge for getting to the bottom center of the front glass. The shortest distance to any edge is almost 4 feet to the side. He has to climb up on the tank to reach down in there. Something to consider. A 2'x2', however, makes that front bottom center a little more manageable.

Oh, but the depth is so nice. His fish swim side to side, and even back n forth, there's so much room.

BTW, I know of a tank being built on the CA coast out here that measures 12'x8'x5'. Yes, those are all FEET, and it's a reef tank. The tank got its own out-building, and the cement slab was 8 feet thick, IIRC. Coral placement will require a snorkel, and that is the plan.

Last edited:
Come on everybody, these are dream tanks with no budget or space considerations!!
I want at least a 10 million gallons. :lol:

Tim

Last edited:
Lol 10 mil huh? Buy a piece of ocean somewhere...hey that's not a bad idea.

I went 30" depth on my 300, and I wish I would have gone36". The heck with getting wet, it's more fun that way.:D :D
My dream tank would probably be a 500, something in a cube shape, but only 24" height..

anybody been to amaha zoo? now theres a tank to dream about! imagine that all reef! personally my current dream tank is a 450+50 overflow and its in my storage unit waiting for me to have the money to do it right! its about 8' x 2' x 4'. what i would really like is a see thru walk around three sided tank about 24" tall 12' long or more and at least 5' in depth so i could do all the rock in the middle and the fish could swim all around the outer walls- kinda like nascar-left turns only please! just kidding! but that is the tank i would build. easy to clean because you can get to both sides and it would be a room divider.

I'd go with a worldclassaquariums.com 120 x 48 x 36 =900 gallon museum grade tank. I'd go with a full walk around. 40" height off ground, and the filtration room in the basement. How would you scrape the panels, you ask. Heck, I'd have Veralte Aquatics come and do that! You said a drean tank right! What is funny is that I have installed two of these tanks into a guys house in Redmond. One is a hardcore reef and the other is a combo tank with LPS and softies.
Thanks, Jason

all about depth.. had a 180 size.. upgrading to a 292 now.. 72x36widex26 tall.. i would love a 600ish... 8x4x2.5 or something .. go as wide and long as you can.. taller that 26 is a bit much though...

I totally agree on the depth. I went from a 55gal that was 13" front to back, and upsized to a 171 gal that is 22" front to back. Even that is not enough. In the future I would go with at least 30-36 front to back. I think it is all about proportions though. My current tank is 60Lx22Wx30T. The 30 tall can be a bit of a pain, esp when stuff falls, but I think a tank has to get taller as it gets longer.

So maybe 96"x36"x36" = about 538 gal

8 feet is pretty huge, but I think I could get used to it. ;)

Mat

Back