What size overflow/return pump?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

N1Husker

RF Staff
Okay, after talking to different people in the fish world now I am totally confused. This may not be as hard as I am making it but I have a 36 gallon tank, 30 lbs. live rock, 4 fish, 7corals, 7 hermits, 1 starfish. My son made me a 10 gallon sump from some plans that he got from the internet, looks nice. It's the only size that will fit under my cabinet. He also got me an overflow. It is a Aqueon Model 110, 962 g.p.h., smallest one they make. He figured if I had an Aqueon tank, this must be okay. I have no idea if it is or not. Seems a lot flow. If this would work what size of pump do I need with it? I have a 4 ft. distance from tank to sump. If this is too much overflow box, what size should I go with? I would appreciate any help.

I had a cpr cs102 overflow which is rated for 1200gph on my old 30g along with a mag7 return pump rated at 700gph and it worked just fine. Your overflow can handle a return pump up to 950gph but if you think it's too much flow you can always add a gate valve to the return line to slow the output of flow.

You can always install gate valves on both the plumbing going into the sump as well as putting a gate valve on the return pump line. This will also help in skimmer contact time.

Cheers,
Alex

Ehiem makes great pumps. Run quiet and are effecient (which means less power used per month and less heat put into your system.) Cost a bit more, but you save in your power bill.

When measuring the distance from the pump to the tank, start at the water level of the sump (as that is where it will have to start lifting.) Also, add in another foot for every 90 degree angle, every union or valve, etc.

This would probably be a great pump for your system:
Eheim 1260
Eheim Universal "Hobby" Pump

Maybe even this one:
Eheim 1250
Eheim Universal "Hobby" Pump

No need to have more water moving than what your protein skimmer can handle

I'm running a cpr overrflow rated at 600 gph and only running a rio 2100 return. I installed a ball valve going to sump and it was a good thing that I did. My rio is not nearly powerful enough to keep up with the overflow. I had to close the valve about half way to keep enough water in the overflow so that it would quite down. I am now researching return pumps and I believe I will get the Tunze Silence Electronic Recirculation Pump 1073.05. I havent found a bad review for it yet.

Thank's Jim, My son bought me a Aqueon 110 overflow which will handle up to 962 gph, I think that's a stretch, but I got a Mag Supreme 7 and I am going to install my plumbing this weekend. I am going to run a 1/2 return to the tank, but to control the flow I am going to T the return and run a pipe back to the intake, running just above the tank. On that return pipe that goes back into the intake area, then I am going to install a ball valve, so I will be able to adjust the flow on the return without causing undue stress on the pump. I read about this on Mevlev's website. Sound's logical, I will give it a whirl. Hmmm, a ball valve half way down on the intake from the overflow. Now you've got me thinking. That might be a good idea. I can always put that in if I have any problems. Thank you for the info. By the way, welcome to Reef Frontiers, great bunch of people here. I've been to Asheville when I use to truck long haul, beautiful area. You sure get a lot of bad fog on I-40 just west of you. But when it's sunny through that gorge, it is beautiful. I have been in every state in the U.S. and that's one of my favorites.

Back