What size tank to start with?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Mattseattle is selling a 10 for a really great deal if you live near him. It comes with pumps and stand and canopy.

If I buy a tank, used is the way to go. you can get a really good deal and sell the equipment you dont want. If you gave us an Idea on dollar amount then we could help you I also would do reasearch on every peice of equipment that you buy. If you go to a LFS that is new to you dont trust them. make them earn your trust first. I have heard so much bad info at Local shops in my years it is sick. Check craigslist for tanks for sale.

If I was to want a bunch of inverts in my tank would i need to be set up for a reef tank or get away with less?
How much live rock would I need in a 75 gallon tank? Can I use half live rock and half dead? Any suggestions would be great. Great website bye the way....

If I was to want a bunch of inverts in my tank would i need to be set up for a reef tank or get away with less?
How much live rock would I need in a 75 gallon tank? Can I use half live rock and half dead? Any suggestions would be great. Great website bye the way....

A good rule of thumb is 1 to 1.5 #'s of live rock per gallon. You could use dead for the base and put the live out where it can be seen. In a month or so it will all be live any way.

Buy used unless your last name is Gates, Buffett, or Redstone.

You will get the identical quality at 1/2 the price enabling you to afford the livestock you want in lieu of the livestock your budget is left with. RF is tops, next is Craigs and Ebay, Buy your parts and pieces as money allows. A well placed fan works as a chiller. Kalk drip in lieu of a Calcium reactor, a used tank turned into a sump, used return pump, etc. Get good lighting and make sure you have enough power-heads for good flow. It can be started on the cheap, but be sure not to under light nor under flow and do not skimp on water changes. A quality skimmer is a good investment. Patience and a quick trigger finger is the key to bargain shopping. To accomplish that, you have to know values, quality and prices in advance.

One more thing, regardless what the nano-reefers will tell you, a larger tank is more stable thus easier to keep healthy though it requires more time and effort. Buy the tank you love, not the tank you are sold into.

Good hunting,
Mike

i feel ya, inverts are the bomb.

my hermits and shrimp and snails are the funnestest things to watch i think

the hermits jumping off rocks and stuff.

inverts are my faveroit

Invertebrates will require reef tank parameters and tank stability. You can certainly do half live rock and half base rock. Try to follow the 1-2 pound per gallon, but on the other hand, you don't want so much live rock it hinders the flow in the tank. Once you get your rock, you can play with it in the tank and use what works to your aquascaping plan.

Hope this helps!

if thats all you have in the tank, yes. This would be the same thing as curing the rock in a seperate tank/bucket. :)

I will Tell you right now try to get the biggest you can or that you can afford because with areef tank you will always run out of space i started off with a 55 gallon and now have a 210 gallon and still i am close to full running short on space always something to buy in this hobby just telling my rule of thumb go as BIG as can may cost you a little more will be worth it.

Soft Reefer - Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

knight03 - sand or barebottom is a choice that you'll have to make based on what you like, and what you want to keep. The same will go for lighting. Based on the inhabitants you want to keep, then that will dictate their lighting requirements.

If you don't already have it, I suggest a really good book called, The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Bob Fenner. He does a good job covering alot of topics.

Hope this helps!

Back