What skimmer should I be looking at!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

steven11

Somethingotherthannormal!
I have a 36gal mixed reef. I need a cheap but productive skimmer. Any suggestions?

I would keep an eye out for a recirculating needle wheel type. Your sump size will dictate the size. Be sure that you know the footprint before you buy one.

Aqua-Euro and Octopus Skimmers fit the bill if you have a sump. Slightly less effective would be Aqua-C Remora (hang-on) and Urchin (in-sump),

If you're thinking about an AquaEuro, get on it quickly. They're about to take a price hike. I just bought the Classic 400, and am extremely pleased with it. For the price, it's most definitely untouchable. I've only seen it available two places:

www.oceansaquariums.com
www.reefnut.com

Dude I got a 30 gal reef tank with a 10 gal sump, My ASM Mini skimmer kicks ass. It started producing the nastiest yellowish green crap on the first day from the moment I turned it on and has been kicking ass ever since. I bought it at saltwaterfish.com for under 100 bucks. You should buy this one it is highly recommended. Here's a pic.

DSCN6608.jpg

DSCN6622.jpg

DSCN6623.jpg

passinetti if u think thats a good deal i got a second hand red sea sump skimmer up to 230gl model plus a huge ehemi pump to run it and a merlin sand bad filter with ehemi pump plus another 2 pumps all only 3 months old or so 50 bucks thats a bargin and if i had a sump on my 30gl it would be runing right now, the guy i bought it off said it made his water to clean dont know what he was tripping on
i run a pretty standard protien skimmer on my 30gl tank at the moment i dont think u have weipro in the usa but if u do there slightly desgin flawed but still do a good job
good luck
happy reef tanking

yeah that is a good deal, I wish I could have found this skimmer used and would have saved money but they are soooo good that no one wants to sell them used. Plus the mini is all I could fit into a 10 gal tank. I don't think I've heard of weipro, but I'm still a newbie.

Thanks for all the imput. I think i am going to end up where the deal is between the four in Cy's first post. Thanks again!

Hey Cy, sorry about that! I didn't mean to steal all your locals' business.

Kirkland area folks, support your LFS. I'm typically willing to pay significantly more to pick something up from any of my LFS, rather than an online warehouse. MarineDepot rocks, but they're not there when you need something RIGHT FREAKIN' NOW! I'm also one of those "won't buy livestock online" folks, and so the LFS is worth supporting.

Hey Cy, sorry about that! I didn't mean to steal all your locals' business.

Kirkland area folks, support your LFS. I'm typically willing to pay significantly more to pick something up from any of my LFS, rather than an online warehouse. MarineDepot rocks, but they're not there when you need something RIGHT FREAKIN' NOW! I'm also one of those "won't buy livestock online" folks, and so the LFS is worth supporting.

No problem at all. Aqua Euro Skimmers are relatively new and not many people have them or have even heard of them.

Back