What test kits can I skimp on?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Trike

I'm trying to see what test kits I can save some money on. For example, could I get API tests for PH, KH, Ammonia, and Nitrite?

For the more important parameters, like Calcium, Phosphate, and magnesium, I will go with salifert or Elos.

Just seeing where I can save some money and not buy something I don't need.

Thanks

I have an API and an Elos pH test kit, and they both suck. I got a pH probe, which was reading 8.1, whicle both of the test kits were reading 8.3-8.4. Called Neptune and they said these pH kits often read high, because that is what aquarists want to see... sigh.

I brought a water sample into work (I work in a bio lab) and tested it with 2 different pH probes in the office, and the 8.1 my probe was reading is correct.

I like the KH test, might want to go with a better quality for that one? I currently have API for that though (I have elos for Ca, Phos, Mg) but will get elos next time.

As for ammonia and nitrite, I'd say go cheap (API), once the cycle is done, you really shouldn't be seeing these in your system, and most of the test kit will go to waste. I'm not even testing these anymore.

I have an API nitrate that I still test with, but haven't seen any nitrates in awhile either. Just trace levels.

If you live near the CD you can check with my pH probe if you are wanting an accurate pH result. I'm by 23rd and jackson.

Good to know. didn't realize they read high.

Hrmm. I actually have a API Master freshwater test kit that's less than a year old. I seem to remember that the tests works with both fresh and salt, but the cards were just different colors. Wonder if I can find just the cards.

I currently have an AC JR with the standard PH probe that's couple years old. I've been saving some money to replace it with a lab grade one. I'll probably not have to get a ph test kit then.

I found a box in the garage with some salt tests (ammonia, nitrite,nitrate). The reagents are powder form, but the expiration date on them were 3 years ago. Not sure how long powder reagents lasts, but was debating on trying them out.

Good to know. didn't realize they read high.

Hrmm. I actually have a API Master freshwater test kit that's less than a year old. I seem to remember that the tests works with both fresh and salt, but the cards were just different colors. Wonder if I can find just the cards.
just get the saltwater ones....not worth a bad reading killing your tank

I currently have an AC JR with the standard PH probe that's couple years old. I've been saving some money to replace it with a lab grade one. I'll probably not have to get a ph test kit then.
get the 10.0 and 7.0 standards and just calibrate your current probe. It's cheap and will give you confidence in the reading. If it can't be calibrated then get a new probe of your choosing.

I found a box in the garage with some salt tests (ammonia, nitrite,nitrate). The reagents are powder form, but the expiration date on them were 3 years ago. Not sure how long powder reagents lasts, but was debating on trying them out.
unless you are cycling a tank you shouldn't need the ammonia or nitrite. If you aren't having an algae problem I wouldn't worry about nitrate. These kits are barely capable of giving you a reading and thinking it is really accurate is a mistake.

Observation will key into the nitrate and phosphate levels.

For Magnesium the Elos kit is probably best....costs a lot but it works well. I would also say get a refractometer.....the salinity is far more important that some of these other things you are asking about. Main thing is consistency. Keep the parameters from swinging around. Change slowly when necessary and spend more time looking in the tank than at the test kits.

I am starting a new tank, but I'll be using cured live rock that I picked up from trido a few weeks back. I'm not sure if I'll have much of a cycle, but I want to be sure.

As for the standard probe, I'm questioning how much life is left in it. It has been used in a freshwater sump the past couple of years. What would be an indication that it can't be calibrated anymore? I believe on the ACJR, you just wait until the offset stops moving and its "calibrated". Would an indication be, after calibration, dip it in one of the solution packets to see if it reads whatever the standard for that packet is?

I picked up a refractometer already with some 35ppt calibration solution. Much easier to use than the plastic swingarm. With the swingarm type, I found that bubbles were always on the arm, giving a bad reading.

Thanks!

Usually when these probes go bad, you start to get a calibration error when you try to calibrate the pH 10 Solution.

But yea, calibrate it to 7 and 10, then retest the calibration solutions and see if the readings hold, and for how long. If after an hour or 2 they no longer read on, that is probably a sign to replace the probe.

I think I want a refractometer. Wonder if I can get one cheap on ebay, might have to check that out.

Cool! I'll get some calibration solutions and give that a try.

I picked up my RHS-10ATC refractometer at BRS for $40. You see them on ebay for around $20 bucks, but the shipping can range from $7-$10. Since the BRS one came with the calibration solution and I was buying other stuff as well, I went that route instead.

Thanks!

OK, cool. I was looking at some posts on reef central, and it appears people have a huge problem with the little screw on covers getting messed up and then they have to replace the refractometer. Some people were saying to spend the extra 30 bucks to get one with replaceable covers.

Do you agree with this? I would use it a couple of times a week I guess, so it seems I might want to spend the cash for replacable covers.... (weekly 10-15% H2O changes)

rob

Dos the RHS-10ATC adjust for temperature?

Yeah it does, The "ATC" in the model number mean it has "Automatic Temperature Compensation". This is the one I picked up. Seems that a lot of sellers sell the same unit as well. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/refractometer-for-reading-salinity-w-free-calibration-fluid.html

As for the plastic cover screws. I haven't looked at it yet. I'm not sure how easy it is to break. The cover feels pretty good to me. But if I drop it, and the cover breaks, I'm not sure how hard it would be to replace/fix it. When I get home tonight, I'll take a look at where the cover screws into the refractometer.

Back