what they hey is this?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ushered_in

So I come downstairs this morning to set the timers back an hour and take a look at the tank and here's my maroon clown, frankie finole, with his mouth all swollen up like he's allergic to peanuts or something!! I'm thinkin' it might be that he had a run-in with the spines on my foxface's back? does anyone have experience with what that looks like? or would frankie be dead if he got stung by the foxface? Take a look and let me know what you think.

Well I do know I swelled up a little when I got hit by my Foxface but I would think a smaller clown would be killed by it.

On the lighter side, if he were a squirel I would say he was very happy. Hope what ever it is he comes through it well.

Duane

Here's a bump for you....

I watched my tang take a spine in the face from the Magnificant Rabbitfish in my tank, and it didn't result in something like that. However, the tang is quite a bit larger than a clown, so.....????? Can you tell us what the rest of your inhabitants are? Also, is the clownfish able to eat???

Depending of "Frankie's" size, I'm not to sure the Fox would be the culprit. Did you actually see this happen?

Does the clown host in an anemone/coral and have you seen any large worms around where it commonly keeps to? Suspicious cnidaria? What was the last thing fed?

Cheers
Steve

help!

the clown is about 2" long, only one in the tank... I don't have him hosting in anything, no bristleworms or anything to speak of, last thing fed was marine pellets.

Any chance you can post a few additional pics? That is if the little guy isn't camera shy. One a little closer in on the front and one from the side (profile).

Is it only the mouth or the gill area as well?

Cheers
Steve

I'll discuss possible scenarios...in a different posting...by the way bristleworms move rather fast and although you say you don't have any, chances are great that you do.

It is more likely that this is just swollen from abrasions from either picking at rocks, or a run-in with stinging organisms on the rock itself...

- Ilham

Back