What to do?!?!?!?!?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

f2titan

Ok. I need some advice / input. Here is my situation. Work is taking me overseas for up to 6 months. I've had other trips, but the wife and kids were able to top water off, and feed. But now I face them having to do full up maintenance during this 6 month time frame. My older son who has had reef tanks can help some. But, I don't think its fair to ask him to do up keep for 6 months. I've started some water change training with my 16 step son. But, I only have two week to do that. What to do???

Should I
1) Let my family try to hold on to it when Im gone. With input from my oldest.
2) Is there someone in the Mt Vernon / Bellingham area who does tank water changes for a fee?
Should I do a fire sale this week, and just sell it all? (yes, there is a good chance this will go longer than 6 months)
:?::?::?::?::?:

First thing is, ask for a few people for numbers for her to call if problems arise..
Second. WRITE DOWN EVERYTHING YOU CAN THINK OF.

make a list of

how to ......

and what do do in case.......

after this amount of time do this..

another thing would be to get the wife or the son to register here and show them how to ask questions, and maybe show them how to post pictures.

Trying to do a fire sale is not a good thing.

I guess it would also make a difference in how difficult, or easy your tank is to maintan.
What corals and fish. How many different pieces of equipment, reactors, etc.

On top of what Adam said i would suggest having your son come over at first and work with your step son. He can pick up the training where you left off so you end up with a semi skilled person to help your wife with the basics.

Thanks. Im still thinking what to do. Yes, I need to write details / instructions out. Good put on that one!

Given good instructions on how you want the tank mantained, I would take turns doing water changes etc. I can do an hour or so every two weeks if that helps.

-Todd

Back