What type cement is used for gray PVC

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Herefishyfishy

Smart Bass
What type cement is used for gray ABS

Bought a used SWC skimmer a few weeks ago and today, noticed a broken off air intake had been glued back onto the volute with some clear cement. Noticed it after it fell off! Guess a type of weld-on needed, which number?

Last edited:
Bought a used SWC skimmer a few weeks ago and today, noticed a broken off air intake had been glued back onto the volute with some clear cement. Noticed it after it fell off! Guess a type of weld-on needed, which number?

Any idea what its made out of? If its just plastic try good old super glue gel. If its acrylic the weldon 16 is cheap and easy.

Don

ABS would bond the best with ABS glue or PVC cement but i dont know the msds on those so if you use those i would let them dry for about twenty four hours as they release some potent vapors, may harm the livestock. just a thought.

Something that works really well for that stuff and you will not have to worry about it breaking again is acetone. I use it on bumpers some time if someone hits a curb. It will weld that plastic back together so no real seam if it’s a clean break. Just wet each side and hold it together for 15-20 minutes with something and your done.

Something that works really well for that stuff and you will not have to worry about it breaking again is acetone. I use it on bumpers some time if someone hits a curb. It will weld that plastic back together so no real seam if it’s a clean break. Just wet each side and hold it together for 15-20 minutes with something and your done.

Was missing a little material in one spot but you got me thinking. Could dissolve some ABS in a sealed small jar of acetone and make some filler. Will have to give it a try if and when my IC-get glue job fails.

Thanks all...

but i dont know the msds on those so if you use those i would let them dry for about twenty four hours as they release some potent vapors, may harm the livestock. just a thought.

....the other day on accident i redid my reuturn and only after about 20min after glue.....forgot and hit wrong switch(pumped glue into tank) nothing has happened yet

....the other day on accident i redid my reuturn and only after about 20min after glue.....forgot and hit wrong switch(pumped glue into tank) nothing has happened yet

Daniel, was this with PVC Primer and Cement? If so, you'll be just fine. PVC Primer and Cement are typically "potable" safe, within a few minutes of use. ABS Cement is a different story, and takes longer to cure. I'd also suggest that ABS cement is not "potable" safe, since ABS is used for waste lines, and not water supply lines.

Well thank you I bee watching my tank like a fog watching a baby eating lol THANK YOU

Back