What type of acrylic do I use for a sump baffles?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ReefJeff

Hi reefers,

I am planning on a DIY sump and I want to use an empty 20 or 30 gallon tank I currently have sitting around. I would like to get the right acrylic to make baffles but not sure what type and where to buy it? I am sure Home Depot might have it but not sure.

If anyone has any laying around please pm me with what you have and prices. I am planning on 3 chambers like the ones in this video.

Reef Tank D.I.Y. Sump part 1 - YouTube

Thank you,

Jeff

Use only Cell cast, and get either 3/8" or 1/2". I'd call the acrylic suppliers in your area. Forget any Home Depot or Blowes, I mean Lowes. They don't have what you need. Or, go with glass, easier to bond to the glass tank. JMO

As Jason posted.
If it were me I would use glass. It will bond much better to the sump. Acrylic is difficult to adhere to glass, 3/16'' should be thick enough glass for the baffles.

how bout abs or polycarb.
i use poly because it doesnt bend as much you pay a bit more but you can use 1/4 for that size sump.

red c

I would not use Polycarb. It will absorb water and pop the seam. Cell cast will only absorb a very small %. Both polycarb and extruded will absorb a huge %. Thais is why we dont build tanks with the stuff. Good luck

Check your yellow pages for glass companies and ask for salvage glass. I have found it on occasion and it usually is cheaper.
Also I would decline the offer to do any work (by the glass company) on the glass edges.
Some finish grit emory cloth will take off the sharp edges.

Back